Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Center armrest

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 04:17 AM
Default Center armrest

I got a 95 LS and my shifter is on the steering wheel and the armrest is a pull down. All the other 95s ive seen, tho, have the plastic center in between driver and passenger with the shifter there. anyone with a comment on this is appreciated.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Default RE: Center armrest

ORIGINAL: Moffer

I got a 95 LS and my shifter is on the steering wheel and the armrest is a pull down. All the other 95s ive seen, tho, have the plastic center in between driver and passenger with the shifter there. anyone with a comment on this is appreciated.
Wow, that's a new one on me. I'd like to see some pics of this one....

Old 07-16-2005, 01:59 PM

what your saying is that you have a colum shift in a 95 LS monte carlo and you want it to be a floor shiuft? If i have this right.

Most monte carlos untill they changed the body again from teh Old 4th gen. SS were actually colum shift. If you would liek to make them or any a floor shift it can be done rather easy.
If you have Air bags that are "smart" bags then you will have to have the system reprogramed at a dealer to have them work correctly (this is all i know about the air bags. )
I was told this by a guy who did it i have noclue if it is true.

but to change it over with out air bags is real easy.
If you change the front seats to the bucket seats (two seperate seats in the front) then you can add the center councial out of another car with your body style and most of the time you will find it is a direct bolt in for the shifter and all. also you might even have the pig tail under your dash for all of the lights for it also. If not they just splice in to the dash lights for it.

once you have the center councial in then you have to get the trans shift plate bracket from the donar car. It is what allows you car to shift in the floor position. relitly easy to install it is a bracket that gose on the side of the tranny and alos the cabel or linkabe from the shifter to work the tranny.

as faras gettign the shifter of fthe colum you can do this two ways. One you can buy a collar that replaces the one with the handel on it
OR
replace the steering colum all togeather with one from a doner car. If you chose this is is not hard to do just unbolt the old one and follow the same steps in rev. to install a new one.
then you can change your ing. if it is in the colum on that model or if you get the steering colum out of a car look around for the keys or ask sometimes they have them for thier cars. If not go to a lock smith and have him rekeay it . this is easier then replacing it but your choice. etheir weay dont install it till you have a workign key

both colums will hook up identical most times under the hood to include the shift linkage this is so that your indicator on the dash knows what gear your in and can show you.

Now the other option i used to do was install a floor shift colum in the car and then dont put the center counial shifter or anythign like that in the car and leave it with out a shifter.
You would not belive how many pepole will ask how to shift the car LOL
all you do is turn the color on the colum and it will shift the car. but im not sure on your car if this will work im not sure what your colum looks like if it is the short stubby one and square then it will not work as the outside plastic or the colar dont move on it BUT if this is the case when you ge the concial get the cover for the colum to and all you have to do is replace it and not the whole stering colum.
just knock the pin ou tthat holds your shifter in place and replace the cover with the new one.
Good luck!!

Old 07-16-2005, 06:42 PM

Oh, i dont want to change it. i was just curious why mine had the shifter on the wheel while all the other 95s ive seen have it on the floor. it would be nicer (and funner) if the emergency brake was the lever instead of the pedal, tho.

Old 07-17-2005, 12:28 AM

I am with you on the emergency brake. I hate the pedal style emergency brake..