Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car won't start. Battery or Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:08 AM
1 Year Member
Default Car won't start. Battery or Starter?

I've got a 1997 Monte Carlo LS with either a bad starter or just bad battery/connection. The car started fine this morning, drove it to work, left work to get gas and it would not start at the gas station. All it would do is "click." Towed it home, looked at everything and decided to give the starter a tap with the hammer, then it started up. I know this is a given sign of a bad starter, but I just want to make sure. When I turn the key on all the dash lights, radio, headlights, etc work. Gonna take it to the local auto shop tomorrow but I want to make sure that's it before I do.

I have to get it fixed ASAP! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

99% sure bad starter.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:43 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you tried to jump start it? If it still goes click click click then it is more than likely the starter. If it starts after being on the cables for a bit then battery if it doesn't start again when you turn it off and come back later then alternator!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:44 AM

If the starter worked after you tapped it with the hammer then the pinion gear is being thrown out into the flywheel but is not producing sufficient torque to turn the flywheel, thus not starting your engine. This is most likely due to sticky/failing bearings inside the motor. Easiest fix, just replace the starter, tapping it with a hammer only works for so long.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Based on the fact you just tapped the starter, I'm inclined to vote the starter as the problem.

You can get dash lights, radio and other electrical devices that work fine and still have a bad or low charge battery. I've had failed batteries cause the starter to only click because they no longer pit out enough power to fully operate the starter.

You can test this a couple ways:
- try jumping the car
- swap batteries with a known good battery (such as from another car)
- pull the battery and starter, have your local parts store bench test then

If you find the problem to be the battery, you still need to ensure you don't have a problem like a bad wire in the charging circuit or alternator.
On modern cars like these montes with a lot of computer controls never pull the poor man's alt test (this would be disconnect the battery while the car is running, this could damage computer equipment in the car).

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Starter

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Based on the fact you just tapped the starter, I'm inclined to vote the starter as the problem.

You can get dash lights, radio and other electrical devices that work fine and still have a bad or low charge battery. I've had failed batteries cause the starter to only click because they no longer pit out enough power to fully operate the starter.

You can test this a couple ways:
- try jumping the car
- swap batteries with a known good battery (such as from another car)
- pull the battery and starter, have your local parts store bench test then

If you find the problem to be the battery, you still need to ensure you don't have a problem like a bad wire in the charging circuit or alternator.
On modern cars like these montes with a lot of computer controls never pull the poor man's alt test (this would be disconnect the battery while the car is running, this could damage computer equipment in the car).
I have owned a 96 Monte and I still have the 99 Monte, Starter went out in both and in the 96 the thing you are describing is what it did. In the 99 it was just off. When you look at the typical locations of starters on the engines and how dirty it gets in that area it is a wonder that last as long as they do. Replace the Battery at the same time, saves for future headaches. This is just part of owning a car, maintenance!!

Old 07-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Have you checked for a loose/dirty connection at the starter motor and the ground cable where it bolts to the transaxle?

Tapping with a hammer releases the jammed bendix gear from the flexplate teeth. This happens when the spring in the bendix weakens or insufficient amperage to rotate the starter. That's why I suggested checking the cables. If all checks out ok you have 2 choices, You can replace the solenoid or the complete starter assembly. Personally, I would replace the entire unit.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:04 PM
1 Year Member

I cleaned all the connections, yes. I took the battery to be tested, it was fine. Bought a new starter and dropped the Monte off at the shop just a while ago. Fingers crossed that the problem will be fixed tomorrow.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:24 AM

You can use a multimeter and measure the voltage on the starter.If voltage good when starting, then you need a new starter or try to jump start,when starts,then the starter is ok.