Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Car won't start

Hi everyone, I have a 2001 monte carlo ss and it has been running fine up until now. I went to start it in the parking lot and nothing happened. The radio was working, the lights went on, and the windows could open, but when I turned the key it wouldnt start and there was no noise. The battery was completely fine and the security light wasnt on either, so I know that is not the problem. I'm thinking that it is an electrical issue somewhere. My best guess is that the connection to the starter is bad. Could it be a bad silinoid?

I also read on line that some wires might be loose. but which wires?

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, or knows what the problem is. Any advice would help. thanks.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 AM

do you have a security light on?

cut the rubber off your battery cables that connect to the battery they often hold in some corrosion and weaken the contact to the battery.

Check with a multimeter if your getting any juice at the starter

Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

It's possible to have enough power in the battery to operate the lights, radio, etc. but not enough to operate the starter. The starter has the highest amperage draw of anything on the vehicle. Have the battery tested to make sure it doesn't have a bad cell and/or a low charge. Have it charged/replaced as needed. A loose/dirty connection will introduce resistance to a circuit. Remove the battery cables from the battery and clean the connections. Also remove the ground cable from where it is bolted to the body and clean that contact point. Check the connections on the starter making sure they are also clean and tight.

It could also be a problem with the security system. The light does not need to be on solid. Recently my car had the same problem as you're experiencing but the security light would flash on and off when the key was left in the ON position. I had to do a security relearn to fix the problem. To do this turn the key to the ON position and leave it there for 11 minutes, then turn it to the OFF position for 30 seconds. Repeat this 3 times then start the vehicle.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2, the cranking amps on these cars are crazy. I would check the battery anyway

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, I had the starter and the solenoid tested. The starter needed a rebuild and the solenoid needed to be replaced. Quick 50 dollar fix. Thanks again, this forum is awesome!