Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car surges but no check engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Default RE: Car surges but no check engine light?

Im going to give a dealer a call today during my lunch break and see if they are aware of this extended waranty for the cat, I am sceptical because I just purchased the car, so they may say that since I am not the original owner they wont help me out. In that case I will probably just go with that one from Magnaflow. By the way anyone here have their 2 cents about this direct fit cat, does it fit well, does the O2 sensor have any clearance issues since there is no U bend???

Old 08-04-2006, 03:49 PM

Since I am not the original owner I never got that letter. I called a dealership and taked to someone in the service dept. they said that they didnt know anything about a letter (BS), but if I had such a letter they would honor it. So i sent an email to Chevy and GM to attempt to get some response, but I have gotten nothing in response so far...I am getting pretty close to just buying the replacement cat, which has the U bend delete, and doing the job myself. It cant be that hard it is just two sets of flanges no biggie. And I was also thinkin bout putting in a straight pipe to replace the resonator but so far I havent gotten much response to that question.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 AM

So after a few months I have discovered the cause of the surging...it was the tranny and it went out on me the other day. I stopped at a stop sign hit the gas, it felt like my tires were spinnin' but they weren't. I let off and tried again and it grabbed, but at the next stop sign it went out completly and i had to push my car into a gas station parking lot. The weird thing is that when i start it up I can get into gear and it will grab for about 45 seconds and then let go completly. I am in the process of finding a good tranny shop, I found one place that said for $1900 I will get my tranny rebuilt to be a little bit stouter and will have a shift kit installed to firm up the shifts a bit. So far that has been the best price for what I would get, the shop seems to be pretty good I am still doing some background work but it beats the $2000 plus laybor the dealer wants to do the swap.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:53 PM

I had the same thing happen with my 2000. Would bounce around from about 1500 to 2000rpm while going up a slight grade. Ended up that there was a TSB on the fuel intake manifold being cracked...That was at about 60k miles. Took it to the dealer and they fixed it. Forgot how much cash, but ask them about a service bulletin for the intake manifold. good luck

Old 11-17-2006, 01:14 PM

My 02 had the cat go bad at 60,000 miles. It never hesitated, but just bogged down terribly. No lights ever came on. And it really did it pretty quickly, almost overnight, it was not a gradual thing. I changed the fuel filter first and had the injectors cleaned but it didn't help. I went with the Random Technology down pipe and hi flow cat and SLP cat back exhaust. Cost was around $900, and I had a local muffler shop weld it in instead of using the clamps that came with it for $100. Excellent improvement in performance.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 PM

Oh, and another thing: I had a mechanic change the fuel filter and clean the injectors and when he drove it and saw no improvement he looked under the car and told me the cat was so hot it was glowing red and thats how he knew it was bad. I don't know how reliable that is, but it worked for me.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM

At this point Im pretty sure its just the tranny, I checked the cat and it never got glowing red like I have seen bad cats do before, even after a 2.5 hr drive home from school. The car just got to the shop today and with any luck I can have it back by thanksgiving but they couldnt make any promises.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:29 PM

Well I finally got my baby back this past weekend and not a moment too soon. Everything seems to running well now with the new tranny. The guy told me that my differential went out, he said it was a common problem with this tranny the 4t65e, that he has done alot of them and he said that I was lucky to get the 87K out of it before it went out. He said that he usually does them around 60K. But I dont have any surge issues to speak of now at this point so I'm going to say case solved on this one, now after I get this paid off I can get back to my mod ideas...

Old 05-29-2007, 09:29 PM

Hey Guys,

After MONTHS of this problem the dealer found and fixed it on mine. It was a broken wire for the crank sensor, they replaced the wire harness and the surge is gone!!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 09:08 PM

My girlfriend's 02 SS had the same surging between 1500 and 2000 rpm in 3rd and 4th gear with light accerlation. I ended up putting Seafoam Trans-tune in the tranny and drove it about 10 miles. I then drained the fluid and changed the filter. There was a lot of shiny bronze specs in the fluid. I also took apart the filter and there was some larger shavings of bronze bushing/bearing material that were .023" thick and a 1/2" long, along with other metal shavings caught in the filter. Needless to say I was doughtfull that the fluid change would help. After I was done I let took the+ battery cable off and let it sit overnight. The next day I took it for a spin andcould not recreate the problem. It seem to be fixed and works great. The car has 135K on it and I'm not sure if the previous owners ever changed the fluid/filter. My opinion of what was wrong was the TCC apply valve was stuck due to the metal shavings suspended in the fluid and the tranny could not lock up the torque converter, or only apply a small amount of pressure to the TQ clutches.