Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

camber

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:20 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default camber

had a little accident in the monte replaced left lower control arm steering knuckle and rack
my question is how do you set the camber,I just want to get it close so I can take it to get it alligned?
TIA
Bill

Old 01-07-2011, 04:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The only real way to set the camber on macpherson strut front suspension is by using a cam bolt in the control arms or moving the top of the strut in or out. There isnt really any adjustment up top in our cars tho. Your camber shouldnt be out bad enough to cause a problem just driving to the alignment shop. I would worry more about toe than anything. As long as the subframe and strut towers werent effected by the accident, I wouldnt worry too much about camber. Now if it looks like the wheel is tilted badly then there is probably more damage that needs addressed before alignment.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:48 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mrl390
The only real way to set the camber on macpherson strut front suspension is by using a cam bolt in the control arms or moving the top of the strut in or out. There isnt really any adjustment up top in our cars tho. Your camber shouldnt be out bad enough to cause a problem just driving to the alignment shop. I would worry more about toe than anything. As long as the subframe and strut towers werent effected by the accident, I wouldnt worry too much about camber. Now if it looks like the wheel is tilted badly then there is probably more damage that needs addressed before alignment.
Yea the top of front wheel is tilted in enough were I do not want to drive it. The subframe
looked good as I had to lower it to change the rack.The lower control arm bolts and holes
are solid, no oblong hole to move it in or out. How do you move the strut tower in or out
and how can you tell if strut tower is damaged as it is solid and does not look bent.Oh and
by the way this problem is the right side as I replaced every thing on the left side.The left wheel is in allignment best i can get
without going to the shop.
TIA
Bill

Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I assume you meant to say strut and not strut tower. The strut tower is a structural part of the vehicle and you cant move it without physically pulling it on the frame machine. The strut itself is bolted to the strut tower with 3 studs and nuts. If you open the hood they are in the back corners of the engine bay. There will be 1 big nut in the center of each and then 3 smaller nuts surrounding it. If you loosen those smaller nuts, you can move the top of the strut. There really isnt much room to move the top of the strut tho, the holes dont have very much play.

You may need to realign the subframe after lowering it. A misaligned subframe can greatly effect wheel alignment.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM

i have a simular problem as well it is slightly out the iner sides of my front tires are wering out quick fast and in a hurry. the last time i got it aligned was a year ago i know my camber is out of wack because i drive threw a area where there is alot of pot holes and dirt roads.