Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Caliper guide pins

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:38 PM
1 Year Member
Default Caliper guide pins

While changing brakes today, I noticed the PO used anti-seize on the guide pins. Would it be alright to clean it out of the bracket with brake cleaner and replace with silglyde which I prefer ? Or would it be better to just top it off with more anti-seize ? I'm not sure if anti-seize plays nice with other greases, if I can't get it all out.

I have a little while to think about this. I'm doing the rears today and the fronts tomorrow due to time constraints.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have used antiseize on the pins before, never an issue. I have also wiped antiseize off, regreased with caliper grease and reinstalled, no problem.
I only replace the pins if I suspect they are damaged or they look bad (such as a head rounding off).

Important note- the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the spindle, use a dab of red thread lock!! That is per the shop book and experience from a guy who had a bolt pop off from there. The caliper pins do not require thread lock.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll save the antiseize for the rotor hat/hub face and use silglyde

I didn't know about the threadlocker. I'll have to get some tomorrow. I generally tighten them to about 100 ftlbs (with the 4 door monte, impala) . I never had a problem with that, but I don't want to chance it either.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:39 PM

Always good to have around..... jar of anti-seize. Cost anywhere from $7 to $10 at Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes and Meijer.