Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

A/C Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A/C Problems

My 2000 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 ac is not blowing air. I feel the cool air coming on but the blower is not coming on and also my display atop of my rear view mirror don't come on at all. Before when the blower wasn't working the display wont come on then when the display would come on the ac would work just fine. Now both aren't coming on at all. Can anybody help me with this problem living in Vegas you need ac at summer time.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

lol, i had the same issue occur today. Car drives fine, no check engine lights or anything. I had the ac kicked on and blower on #3. Cut car off, went into store. Came back out, started car up and all a sudden no blower motor, DIC display in roof not working. Noticed on way home the cruise light came on up in the cluster. but iwasnt using cruise.
Came home started looking at fuses all were good. started car back up and blower works, DIC display works. Cut off, it went inop again. Wierd huh?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member

Anyone else had this issue? It' does,normal for a while then does it again, just a matter or time until it quits. It's gotta be something electrical.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86
Anyone else had this issue? It' does,normal for a while then does it again, just a matter or time until it quits. It's gotta be something electrical.
Yea your wheel/fan on the blower motor is stuck. Common issue before it goes out all the way is it would work whenever it wants then after a while absolutely nothing. Replace motor and resistor while u at it. Not that hard to replace just be prepared to get cramped

Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member

But why does that cause the cruise light to come on in the cluster, and the overhead info center inop as well ?
Turn car off and back on a time or two, and all comes back to normal

Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM

check all ground wires. make sure they are clean and making good contact. they can make so much go haywire if they are not grounding correctly. also maybe try replacing the AC/heater control unit if the blower motor resistor doesnt fix it.. it could be going bad. the cruise issue is an odd one...i dont know the connection with ac to that aside from the ignition switch.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the replies guys(and gals if so applies)
I'm very mechanically inclined, not afraid to tackle anything short of engine/ trans overhaul. Though I wouldn't mind tackling that one these days.
Electrical issues are my kryptonite though. I'm a firm believer in diagnosing a problem and not just throwing parts at something hoping for a fix.

I have looked for grounds loose or broken, all is intact. The blower resistor i believe is fine. The reason I believe is every time I personally have seen a blower resistor fail, the blower fan only operates on 1speed setting, usually high speed. My blower works fine on all settings when it's normal.
There has to be a common connection that somehow ties into the hvac control, overhead driver info center, rearview mirror lamps, cruise.
Looking at wiring diagrams is like reading Chinese to me. But am leaning towards the ignition switch as a possibility. Not sure how all these symptoms tie into the ignition switch exactly but have found a couple threads with identical symptoms pointing to look in that direction.
Will take it apart this weekend and have a looksie

Old 09-10-2014, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member

Just wanted to update on this issue. Turns out the ignition switch was in deed the culprit. took me about 30 minuted to swap it out and everything works as it should.
seems like a couple of the spades where the harness plugs in somehow were slightly corroded. Not rusty or nothing but just gunky and not near as pristine as the others.
I suppose over 10 years time they must begin to just wear out and start to fail.
I could have probably just cleaned it up and put it back in but while i had it apart i figured might as well put a new one in.
Have had 0 issues since.