Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

BTSI shifter/ignition solenoid problem??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- May 2009
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default BTSI shifter/ignition solenoid problem??

so i copied and pasted this post from a buick forum cause i searched for it on yahoo after searching for it here and it explained my problem perfectly, but i would just like to know if there is a cheap, inexpensive way to fix it for our monte's and if anyone has ever had this problem and what they did. My niece recently spilled my double size rockstar drink onto my entire shift assembly that was in my cupholder, didnt have any problems till tonight. she spilled it 3 days ago. You all were really helpful with my HID kit problem so i figured you are the people to turn to! Here's the post:

here's the problem. after a drive, i stop the car, put it in park, put the e-brake on and then try to turn the ignition all the way counter clockwise to get the key out. however, the ignition will only turn far enough to shut off the engine and electronics, but not far enough to release the key. it happened only a few times in the first couple months after i bought the car, and i thought it might be some kind of safety or security feature that i was activating by not having the car in park all the way or something, so i would turn the key to the on position, run the shifter through the gears, then the key would come right out. But now, it is happening almost every time i drive, and the trick i used before no longer works, nor does anything else under the sun that i've tried. it seems like eventually if i wait a long time, a couple hours or so, then go back to the car the key will come right out after doing the previously mentioned trick. Could it be micro switches in the shifter so that the ignition thinks the car is still in gear, or something wrong with the ignition switch itself, or maybe the key?

anybody know how to locate and fix this problem cheap?? its a 2003SS

thanks for all the help!