Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Boost Gauge running high

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Boost Gauge running high

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I'm on my third Monte Carlo though. I have a 2005 Tony Stewart Supercharged edition. My boost gauge is running really high, it hits the red sometimes. It just started about a week ago and has been doing it off and on. I know a lot about my car and how to work on it, but have never really looked into the boost gauge or what it does. Any idea why it would be running so high? Also, what exactly is the purpose of it? I know it has something to do with The Supercharger, but not sure.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be a faulty gauge or could be your boost bypass valve sticking. Either way I would figure it out because if your actually running more boost somehow (doubtful because the pulley can only make so much) the car can go lean and chip a piston do to engine knock retard.

Basically boost is a positive air pressure pushed into your engine via the supercharger to make more power. The more boost/fuel the more power that can be made until you get to the next restriction (exhaust, intake, etc)

You can raise boost pressure by getting a smaller supercharger pulley (makes the supercharger spin faster) but exhaust, heads, cam will lower boost because it makes the engine more free flowing so then you go smaller pulleys to get boost back again.

Kinda hard to explain but hope this helps some

Old 11-01-2016, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you for replying. It stopped doing it and is running normal now. I think maybe the instrument cluster is not working right.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:53 AM

My instruments all started acting strange and my Eng Temp gauge soared right over and stayed pinned.

Pulled the cluster.
Sent it out for a rebuild with new bulbs and high-quality "Stepper Motors"
Was well worth the effort.

Here's the best deal you'll find: (IMHO)

GM Cluster Repair Phone Us @ 270-993-9533 - Home

Old 11-17-2016, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member

Thank you for the response. I will look into that. Like I said it isn't doing it anymore, never know when it will start again though.