Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Blower/dic/ignition cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Default Blower/dic/ignition cylinder

I've tried it all...
2003 ss.
blower working intermittently, cruise light on, dic sometimes on.

saw a few threads detailing solutions.

1st tried cleaning the ignition switch. The blower, cruise light worked fine for about a week. then got worse and blower stopped working, cruise light came on.

picked up new blower and resistor. pulled old blower and resistor out. hooked up new resistor and blower before installing them back in. they did not work.
pulled ignition cylinder out, sprayed with contact cleaner. before installing ignition cylinder back in the dash, hooked it back up.

the new blower and resistor worked fine. all speeds. then i hooked up the old resistor and blower. They also worked fine.
My conclusion was the ignition cylinder is bad. Reinstalled old blower and resistor, and ignition cylinder. Once all installed Blower did not work on command. would come on once and a while when the car was running.

installed new ignition cylinder, relearned, and the blower does not work on command.

any and all ideas will help to put me out of my misery.

Jeff.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 PM

another member had a problem with the ignition cylinder. maybe thats a common problem in the 6th gen.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:09 PM

what do you mean blower doesn't work on command? did it fix your other problems? i was having all the same problems you are having, and i took my car to the chevy dealer and the tested my ignition switch and it was bad, and they put a new one in and i havent had a problem since.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 AM

blower does not work when i turn the dial from off to 1,2,3,4,5. it will come on after the car has been running for 10/15 minutes. the dic seems to be fine and no cruise light.
This is after i replaced the ignition switch.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by KodiakSS
blower does not work when i turn the dial from off to 1,2,3,4,5. it will come on after the car has been running for 10/15 minutes. the dic seems to be fine and no cruise light.
This is after i replaced the ignition switch.
so switching out the ignition switch fixed everything but the blower part of it?

Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Justin
so switching out the ignition switch fixed everything but the blower part of it?

that is correct Justin.

and thanks for your questioning. hoping this might lead to a solution.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Default no blower

the 6th gen mc's and other gm car/trucks did have problems with the HVAC module or control head usually caused by a controlled component like the blower resistor or a mode door actuator. the blower high setting has a relay built right into the resistor. usually if a resistor has gone bad high blower is the only speed working. if you have no blower at any speeds but you can hear the mode actuators moving or see them moving under the dash your switch for blower speed could be at fault. i have replaced these but but it requires tearing the control head apart and finding a switch thats the same. the price difference isn't much and i think a new head is around $180.00 (thats canadian). check the 10 amp HVAC fuse in the drivers side fuse panel that could be the problem now.