Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): BCM issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 11:05 AM
Default BCM issues

Ok ladies and gentlemen, about a week ago, my monte stopped working, I had gone to braums and then when I came back out, it wouldn't crank(it had been fine before this, no obvious warning signs), I got nothing when I turned the key, but I still had power, instrument cluster came on, headlights, radio etc. but no cranks, we tried jumping it, still nothing. So I got my dads help and a tow strap and towed it home the next morning (cause it was 10:30 at night). Anyway the next morning I take out our battery tester and test the monte's battery, it tested bad (it was only like 3 yrs old though but I have had a lot of issues with it) so I went to O'reilly's and bought a new battery and alternator (because the old one was charging the old battery the wrong way). I installed the new battery and alternator and it still wouldn't crank, I doubted it was the starter since I had already replaced that in January, but I went ahead and took it out and bench tested it (it was fine). I then went through my fuse box and made sure everything was there and cleaned the fuses that looked dirty, I also took our OBD 2 scan tool and checked for codes, I got one, but it was for cooling fan circuit #1. So I started doing more research I considered the bcm, but everyone on the forums were saying it was probably not the BCM (and the car wasnt really showing any symptoms described by people with bad BCMs), so I thought maybe the passlock system had gone out again and decided it hated me lol (we had replaced the the ignition switch about 3 yrs ago), so I spent several days trying to reprogram it with the wait 10 mins off 30 secs, on 10 min, and so on and so forth. After a while of doing this to no avail, I finally called a local auto-mechanic (Angel mobile automotive, Highly recommend if any is ever in Stillwater Ok, and needs auto work done) anyway he told me it was probably my starter and then said he'd had people bench test their starter and it be fine, then install it and nothing, then take it to O'reillys and have it test bad, so I uninstalled the starter, took it to O'reillys and it tested fine, I then took it back home, reinstalled it and notified Angel that it had tested fine, so he gets here the next morning, checks battery (still good), checks the Neutral safety switch (it was fine), and finally he pulls out a definitely more advanced code reader tool, and after spending about 15 seconds plugged into the car, the tool shows up saying the BCM had a internal malfunction, so he was here for like 10 mins total, he didn't end up charging me which was super nice of him, he told "she had a stroke" and said I needed to get a new bcm and have a dealership flash it and the ECU. I called the local dealership and they said they can't flash it because they don't have the machine, but they can "program" the BCM and install it for me (don't mind my sarcasm here but...) for the low Low price of $145 to program, another $145 for the installation, and however much it Costs them to order the new BCM and sell it to me, they can do it... It take Literally 10 seconds to get to the BCM lol, like heck Im gonna let them charge $145 to remove the two clips holding the dash panel and unplug 3 connectors, then do that but backwards to install the new one. So that's my tale of woe. As for programing it, I don't believe that is the same as flashing the ECU and BCM, is it? if anyone knows for sure please let me know. so any advice on what to do? I think Im going to order a new BCM off the internet cause its cheaper, as for the electronics side of things, do they have to "Flash" the two? or would programing it work?

Old 11-27-2021, 11:37 AM

BCM issue resolved. so I got the new BCM in today (2 days early from RockAuto) and I went out to my monte this morning, plugged it in, did the ignition switch reprogram like I had tried earlier, but this time the car started cranking! so I took a little starter fluid and put it in the engine, then cranked it again and she started right up! I bought a "preprogrammed" BCM and its doing just fine so I guess you don't NEED to get it flashed, but it probably wouldn't hurt to