Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

BCM Location

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default BCM Location

Where is the BCM located on 2000SS?, can it be unplugged and removed replaced without having to do a relearn?.

Thank you!

Malcolm

Old 02-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The BCM is in a black plastic "Pocket" against the firewall to the left of the brake pedal. Lift a small tab on the pocket to release and pull it down out of the pocket. Squeeze the 3 fairly large connector clips like a clothes pin and wiggle them out to disconnect. I believe a re-learn is necessary if it gets disconnected. I've done this before, but replaced the BCM which then required programming with a Tech 2, so it's possible that you don't have to do a re-learn if you reinstall the same BCM with no changes.

Last edited by plumbob; 02-14-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

thats where i just seen mine ^^

Old 02-14-2016, 04:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I had my BCM out when I had to rip my entire dash out years ago and replace the evaporator core. Just make sure your battery is disconnected. You should be able to put it all back in without doing a relearn if it's the same BCM.

Out of curiosity, what are you doing with it?

Old 02-14-2016, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member

My oil pressure gauge works maybe 60/40 so I thought maybe unplug re-plug BCM, just don't want to go through relearn. It just feels wrong to start your ride and see 0 on gauge, most times it works. The pressure switch is new due to a leak so I know oil pressure is good.

Malcolm
2000SS

Old 02-14-2016, 10:33 PM

10 Year Member

You can try it, but I doubt the BCM is going to resolve that. The oil pressure sensor feeds data to the PCM, not the BCM. If you want to try "resetting" the computers (like a reboot), just disconnect the battery for about 10+ minutes should do the trick.

I suspect you have one of three situations:
1. - even though the sensor is new, could be a bad sensor (just because it is new does not guarantee it is good).
Side Note: I assume during the use of the car you see the pressure go up and down? It's not constant one extreme or the other (always zero vs always the highest value)? If so you may have the oil pressure switch installed which is for cars that have a light for low oil pressure and not a gauge).
2. - a failed stepper motor in the instrument cluster sticking at 0 (but normally when this happens the reading can stick multiple places and usually carries to being extremely high).
3. - a problem with the connector and/or the wiring for the oil pressure sensor.

Keep us posted what you find out.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member

Funny thing is when it works it works perfectly, at idle reads little less than half responds to rpm increase, full throttle it goes to slightly less than 3/4 of gauge also responds to throttle fluctuations while parked in neutral. When not working it just sits at dead 0.

Thank you!
Malcolm

Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 PM

10 Year Member

Some scan tools (ranging from the $20 ODB-II bluetooth one you can use with free apps on a phone to a Snap-On or Tech II scan tool) can give you the reading from the sensor. If you could read the oil pressure with another tool at the time the gauge on the cluster malfunctions this could pin point if it's a failed stepper motor in the cluster. If it's not the cluster, then it's the sensor or wiring. But some more troubleshooting is required.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member

I do have a Innova 3160d scan tool which I am not too familiar with, will plug it in see what happens. Now when I hook it up, should I do it with gauge working or not working?. I can start the car, if the gauge does not respond simply shut off and restart usually one restart is all it takes for gauge to come to life.

Thank you!
Malcolm

Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 PM

10 Year Member

Ideally, I would say you don't want the gauge working. This way you can check on the scan tool what the computer believes your oil pressure reading is direct on your scan tool. If the scan tool says you have pressure and the cluster says no pressure, then I believe it is safe to say your problem is a stepper motor in the cluster.

If both the scan tool and the cluster read no pressure you have a bad sensor or a wiring issue.