Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Battery discharge w/ 3.5 MC

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Battery discharge w/ 3.5 MC

Has anyone had any discharging problems with batteries? My batteries and alternator are fine but for some reason I keep having my batteries crap out on me.

Has anyone had problems with their heater blowing out cold air?

If you have any solutions or possible things to look for then please let me know.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:57 AM

is the conections clean on the battery and do you have any thing conected that could drain the battery? as in car charger for the cell phone or any thing aftermarket attatched to it? i had some thing simular happen i accedentally turned on the dome light when i got out and the battery died.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM

i forgot i have the same model you have with the 3.5 so i went with a agm battery from optima it lasted so far pretty good. i have one in my dads mercury cugar he gave me it lasted about 9 years so far. i am sold on agm batteries. agm is absorbed glass mat it is pretty much a gel type. oh what do you mean the heater blows cold? did you replace the thermostat? some times that is the colpret

Old 11-07-2010, 11:49 AM

I have an aftermarket sound system and I have two batteries but I have unplugged everything. I just pulled a few fuses so when I get a boost I will see if the problem continues...hopefully not. I have cleaned both terminals and connections on the batteries so I know they are ok.

I read on another site that some people were having problems out of the radio or amp and it was causing overnight discharging. I don't think I have an amp(assuming it would be under the rear deck by the 6x9s) so I pulled the radio fuse, amp, and aux fuse.

With the heater thing...my car has to be over engine idle for it to blow hot air. I get cold air at engine idle.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM

first the overnight discharge sounds like a ground problem i had the same issue when i got my radio replaced. you may have to have the shop relook at the installation of the radio and add new grounds. second with the heat issue it sounds like the thermostat is sticking open and letting every thing cool down when you are at idel. i had to replace mine last year it did the same thing with the heat. back to the discharge i would first get a new battery if it discharges with the new battery i would go back to where you got the install of the new radio and the system. or go to some where else that is repitable on aftermarket sound systems and have them add more grounds and check all of the wires as well with new grounds. it sounds like the install of the sound system was done rong as in having a discharge. i payed close to $1,200in total in wires as in grounds and install system was 400 the wires and install was 800. it sounds like there needs to have beter grounds to be honest to help prevent discharge and some thing seems like it is left on as well when you disengage the key. when you have anouther shop look at it ask them if the time delay was disingaged for the radio. our cars have that if you turn off the car you will have power to the radio and the windows for 10 minutes if you dont open the drivers door. if you open the passenger door the power to the windows stop but not the radio untill you open the drivers door. it also signify that the shop you went to over looked that aspect and left that loop endefenet and killing your batteries

Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 PM

sorry about the price rang i mentioned is my system i put in mine. i got ahead of my self the place i want to was best buy and i knew the guy personally and he knows about gm and the radio loup when you take the key out and still get power to it. gm has a loop in the body controll moduel he had to tell it there is a after market radio and kill the power when the key was out of it so my battery wont die for that he added more than enough grounds so my batter wouldent die and i got two capacitors as well to avoid the second battery.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Ok. I'll have the get my system checked out but I still have the factory radio. I'm definitely going to add that to the list of things to check but I honestly don't think it is related to the aftermarket stuff. I've had everything hooked up for two years now and all of a sudden its just now draining. First step will probably be that agm battery. How many cold cranking amps are you getting out of that? I'm up north in MI and we are about to start getting snow pretty soon.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I know a mechanic that traced a dead battery back to the amp on several MCs. When my battery went dead on mine, that was the first thing he told me to watch for. (Mine was just an old battery luckily)

Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM

my agm battery is rated at 650cca but but rated higher for industrial same size at 950 cca. so agm is always have a low rating but gives a higher cca when to start when i had a ford dualy desil. i had two of them and they lasted in the truck for a good while in fargo north dakota. i still have the batteries one is in the mercury my dad has the other is in my mustang. so far they lasted about 9 pushing 10 years now. they survived the cold they servive the cold and heat alot better to be honest. do to they dont have any liquid in the battery plus they have a good hour and 20 minutes of run time when you are just listining to the radio when the engine is off.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 PM

Well...here is the story. I have two batteries in the car. The one under the hood was shot so I switched them around and my problem was solved. My remote starter works again and my check engine light went off. Odd!