Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Balance Shaft

Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Balance Shaft

i am planning on running an xp cam...one of the things that needs to be done is a balance shaft delete...has anyone done this and how much excessive (if any vibrations) did you get?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

Yes I have done it, depending on what you call delete depends on price. You can leave it in the engine and not have it connected to the timing set and it won't cause any issues or completely remove it from engine and drill and tap the oil feed hole that goes to the balance shaft bearing <-- I did this. I seen no major vibrations.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM

thank you for the info...i will probably just leave it in the engine since it won't cause any issues...i've built MANY small block chevy engines and have done tons of swaps in RWD cars and trucks...this is actually going to be my first major FWD swap other than just dropping an engine in and turning the key...

Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM
10 Year Member

Awesome! Are you upgrading valve springs too? I suggest using a roll master double roller in all builds no matter what cam etc. With the double roller you will want to get the crank gear machined to fit "true" to the block and will need to run a machined oil pump cover for clearance.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:29 AM

i do plan on using crane 150 springs...my whole set-up is going to be like this: going completely through a used l67...installing an xp cam with comp 150 springs, modified retainers, ls7 lifters and the double roller timing chain...i want to make this engine as cool as possible as to reduce KR with a 1.25" thick radiator, zzp SS intercooler, high flow 180 stat..i will be using my stock 4t65e trans, but will add the kit to make it HD with the output shaft and ring and pinion set-up, since my current trans has a 3.29 gear...i will be using the stock heads, but am going to have the blower ported and the input and output side..possibly use the stock l67 throttle body...as for exhaust, i'm still kinda up in the air on that...i will however, be installing the 1" shorter dogbones because i did lower the car and it will allow a better fit for headers, if i choose to go down that route...since i am really going to run the engine cooler, i should be able to really go down in pulley size...my goal is to put down 300-350whp and still be a daily driver...i would be really happy if things go as planned...of course, having the pcm tuned...would love to see how much WHP i am really going to get...i am pretty sure i may be happy with the results

Last edited by djhixter; 12-31-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member

Should be close to HP number. 150 springs are way over kill for that cam though in all honesty. A xpz cam would be awesome in your setup.

Are you doing a gen v swap? I highly suggest using the gen v blower over the gen 3. The gen v is way more efficient

A few things about the trans, the HD diff upgrade is not the weak spot in these trans. The diff upgrade is nice but you need to worry about the chain set, pump shaft and input shaft mainly. Also I suggest tep valve body and channel plate upgrades and tep upgraded clutches and a shift kit.

I have a HD diff upgrade I can sell you much cheaper than the Zzp cost if your interested

Last edited by turbo monte; 12-31-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 AM

thanx turbo monte, i will keep your trans upgrade in mind...i was thinking also the 1" chain setup, but will definitely look into the other trans mods you recommended...for right now, i plan on going with the gen 3 setup, for now anyways and see where it takes me...what valve springs are you running with? zzp does have another alternative by using comp 140 springs...i don't want overkill, but of course don't want underkill either...as for the exhaust setup, there are quite a few alternatives for this...some people like the speedy, pacesetters and powerlogs...some people like some type of headers, while other peopler don't...either way, i will have to modify my cowl to get a good fit...i am hoping that i won't have to heat & beat, and cut my cowl to much for a good fit with the 1" shorter dogbones...

Old 12-31-2013, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member

The 1" chain set is hard to find because there discontinued but I do know where there is a 1" set its not cheap though. If your not sc already I would just do the gen v and be done with it you won't regret it trust me. As far as springs I'm running a st5 turbo cam, ported heads with oversized valves, titanium retainers and I'm using crow cam 130# springs and there fine.

Headers have clearance issues in the front where the radiator fans are I've never heard of clearance issues in the back... you will need headers to hit your power goal.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:09 AM

thank you for your advise...if i do go with the gen V, would i still be able to retain the stock throttle body? the complete l67 i will be purchasing is out of a 97 riviera...as for my current set-up...it's just a 98 z34 with of course, the na 3800...doing a COMPLETE change over...i have heard of the clearance issues with the cooling fans, but i have heard that if this is an issue, that i can reverse the fans and should be ok...on the same token, since i will be going with such a thick rad, i may also be thinking of aftermarket fans and put them in the front, getting rid of any clearance issues in the front...

Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 AM

ughhhhhhh...come to think of it...i may more of a fan issue...since i will be installing the shorter dogbones, i will be bringing in closer to the fans...so yes, the fan clearance will be more of a possible problem...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Balance Shaft