Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bad gas mileage no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
One rule of thumb that I use on a car that would get good gas mileage is to check the RPM at your drive speed. If you are out on the interstate and doing 75 miles per hour and your RPM's are below 2K in overdrive chances are the vehicle will get better mileage. If your at 2400 or more not so good. Usually the performance cars the SS and those will be geared different.

o wow, my car goes around 2,500rpm, doing around 60, is there a way to lower such rpms?

Old 10-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by owens91
o wow, my car goes around 2,500rpm, doing around 60, is there a way to lower such rpms?
It sounds like your tranny isn't going into OD.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
It sounds like your tranny isn't going into OD.
idk, i think it is..like i can feel, see and hear when it shifts

Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My car is doing the same thing. I did a fluid and filter change yesterday. My gas mileage increased from 20 to just under 23 mpg. My RPMs at 70 MPH dropped from 2600 to 2250 RPMs on flat ground and she No longer drops into 2 After a second or 2 of shifting up to third. But it hits Hard when it shifts into Third. I know I need to have my Trans rebuilt/replaced. I have to wait until income tax time. Then I'm getting a Triple Edge basic Trans.
It sounds to me like you are having the same problem and I'm Sorry to say you are looking at the same solutions as me!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
My car is doing the same thing. I did a fluid and filter change yesterday. My gas mileage increased from 20 to just under 23 mpg. My RPMs at 70 MPH dropped from 2600 to 2250 RPMs on flat ground and she No longer drops into 2 After a second or 2 of shifting up to third. But it hits Hard when it shifts into Third. I know I need to have my Trans rebuilt/replaced. I have to wait until income tax time. Then I'm getting a Triple Edge basic Trans.
It sounds to me like you are having the same problem and I'm Sorry to say you are looking at the same solutions as me!

is that a different trans then the stock one? and i know i am gonna have to get this baby rebuilt i planned on going to aamco for that, but i also have the upper and lower gaskets to replace, then i possibly have a bad fuel pump, and then on top of that i still havent finish doing the interior, and modding....oh boy

Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

You can go to TripleEdgePerfomance.com The Specialize in the 4T65e transmission. In e nut she'll, they take a 4t65e and replace all the weak points of the OEM Trans. They have a Basic, which is an upgraded Trans and a Street /Stop Trans which they recommend for the Supercharged SS. Go to that site and you can read up on what they offer.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

If my trans ever takes a crap, TEP is high on my contact list!! Due to their raw experience, I would trust in them to sell me a much better performing trans to last a long time!

Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

Most likely these cars are set up from the Factory with all the settings. The SS is geared a bit lower, I have had several performance GM cars and tried to get them to get better mileage. Not to easy to do, Some things to try. Lucas Oil fuel additive will improve the mileage, For your Transmission I have had some folks tell me that Lucas Oil transmission additive will help the Transmission shift better and all. Not sure if it can give you better mileage. I have installed a K&N air filter which has helped some. But you need to keep it clean to function properly. Some folks have modified the air intake to get more air up front, which has helped. Tires are a big thing to help with mileage. Synthetic oil and the additives you can buy are good also. Try to buy the better filters and you can extend the drive miles per oil change, I also know some folks who change the filters more frequently so they are cleaning the oil better, in theory. Spark plugs and wiring are also important, platinum plugs are good. Also driving style has a lot to do with your mileage, if you are heavy on the gas from a stand still you pay extra for that driving style. If you let some one who is riding your rear bumper make you drive faster that will also cheat you on gas. When driving the interstate try and stay in the Draft of other vehicles, and wax on the car helps it glide through the air as well as RainX on the glass. Maintain proper tire pressure also. I now travel a lot and have rented several new cars recently, the Chevy Cruze is good on mileage, I currently have a 2013 Impala rental and am getting in the 30's, I have a 2013 new Chevy Equinox and we are getting 32 on the interstate with it. But I have a Pontiac Torrent that gets about 18 to 20 but its all wheel drive, and doesn't have enough gears so the OD isn't high enough. I had an 04 impala that was good for 36 mpg, and I could run it hard and would still get 32mpg. I don't know if you could take the computer from an 04 impala and put it in an o4 Monte and make it get better mileage??? It could make it go crazy. I had an Oldsmobile once with a 3800 in it I could get 35mpg doing 80 with it, when I retired the Car at 389,000 miles I bought another one it was the Tour Sedan Version. It was Horrible on Gas, geared lower in the front wheel drive. Back in the late 60's and 70's there was a Company called Baldwin Motion Chevy, in NY. They produced an after market overdrive that was named the Hon-overdrive worked on Muscle cars that we used on weekends at the Drags Helped with mileage as well as keeping the engine RPMS off the Redline during the highway driving. My Chevelle loved Gas, but it was a show off car and you drove it that was to impress the Chics, but don't let them drive it. Mine was Daytona Yellow, big block with a 4 gear and Posi on the rear. I could get around good in the Snow with this thing too, often asked how can you do that? I didn't drive thru it but over it. Anyway sorry for being to windy, these things can work I have about 2.5million driving miles of experience, to help me get thru the traffic.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by owens91
No idea why your rpms are so high, I jumped on the freeway last night, don't ever drive it, and at 70 I was around 2200 rpms. Don't know if me having a 04 is it geared differently from yours or not.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Default fuel mileage update

Just an update for fuel mileage. Friday I drove from Oklahoma City North to I 80, Driving a 2013 Chevy Impala. My RPM's were about 1800 at 75 miles per hour. This vehicle had under 10K for miles and it produced 36 mpg on that trip about 400 plus miles.

Quick Reply: Bad gas mileage no CEL