Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Auxiliary Power Connection (Power Drop)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Default Auxiliary Power Connection (Power Drop)

I tried to search for this, but came up empty handed.

I'm wondering if anyone has used the "Power Drop" that is supposedly under the glove box, for adding addition electronics to the car? It's on page 2-62 of my 01 manual and I looked all around the glove box and couldn't see anything remotely close to what they describe. It says the wires would be labeled with a wire function and fuse rating.

I'm planning to hard wire my XM receiver and figured that would be an easy route.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:21 AM

as far as I am aware, the only cars that have the power drop are 9c1 equiped cars (police package) I might be wrong since yours in an 01, but that's how it is on the newer years.

that being said, if you dont want to cut up factory wiring (assuming you dont have the power drop) I have the part numbers needed to make an inline harness that goes in the center console to provide you with the same kind of power drop. (would be a short harness that plugs inline with the rear aux power port on the center console) I think when I looked up the parts, it was less than 8 bucks plus the wire needed.

Last edited by Toasty; 08-03-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Idk if you know this but the reciever plug in to the cig lighter is on a different volt than the actual reciever, so the plug in is kind of a converter. If you just hard wire in the radio without it the reciever wont turn on... trust me i found out the hard way. You have to make another lighter thing separatly *lets say behind the dash* that you can plug into separately. Unless you have another radio that doesnt convert??

Old 08-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Toasty
as far as I am aware, the only cars that have the power drop are 9c1 equiped cars (police package) I might be wrong since yours in an 01, but that's how it is on the newer years.
An MC with police package?? That would be sweet. I don't know, I downloaded this manual from the interweb, of course the car didn't come with one, so I guess this manual could be for a police package MC as well. It says "Your vehicle is equipped with an auxiliary power connection." I guess I just assumed it was standard and I was missing something.

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Idk if you know this but the reciever plug in to the cig lighter is on a different volt than the actual reciever, so the plug in is kind of a converter. If you just hard wire in the radio without it the reciever wont turn on... trust me i found out the hard way. You have to make another lighter thing separatly *lets say behind the dash* that you can plug into separately. Unless you have another radio that doesnt convert??
Yeah I am actually wiring in an additional 'cigarette lighter' that will be on a switched line and will be hidden somewhere. Then using the standard cigarette lighter that came with the receiver, to plug into that hidden power source. I guess the missing "power source" isn't really much of a big deal, since I am tapping into the passenger fuse box, which is inches from where the power source is claimed to be anyway...