Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Electrical upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 12:06 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Electrical upgrades

Can someone direct me or assist me in telling me what upgrades are available for my electrical system (battery, alternator, ignition, etc.) for my 2007 SS V8 5.3 - Already have MSD wires and coils - but the other stuff has me confused on where to find things. These upgrades could be power add-ons or changes, or simply improved or better parts. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you. Bahdeets (SamB.)

Old 07-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

I don't know if the v8 is the same as the 3800, but stock wires and coils are perfectly fine and don't need to be replaced at all.

I guess you can look into optima red top batteries if you want.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM

are you going to be adding a subs, amp, and/or other electronics that have lots of current draw? if not the stock battery and alternator should work fine. i've always had good luck with delco batteries and can't justify upgrading unless it NEEDS replacing. then usually i would get an interstate or optima red top.

i think the stock spark plugs are platinum so correct me if i'm wrong. you could upgrade to an iridium plug but i don't think you will notice much gain. i have found it useful to use the search tool for the spark plug debates.

lastly, i think sheep is right, the stock plug wires and coils are pretty damn good and upgrading won't net much gain unless you want to get colored wires for a better underhood look.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:30 PM
15 Year Member

Greatly appreciate the info. I guess my real concern is the Alternator it's output and drag on the system and the draw my starter is going to have once I increase my compression and make it more difficult to turn the motor. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:01 PM

hey good to know badheets. i think your alt will be fine even if you install a mild stereo system. i honestly don't know what the output is on the 7th gens. if you really want to know, i would call a dealer and talk to a technician.

how much higher are you going to bump your compression to? i believe it's already 10:1 which is pretty decent. how will you accomplish this? by milling the head, domed pistons, thinner head gasket, etc?? just curious i guess. i would think the starters are overbuilt anyways so you should be fine if you go up by a point or so. just my 2 cents.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:45 AM
15 Year Member

I am almost sure my current compression ratio is 9.2 to 1 - I plan on raising the compression with domed and fly cut pistons. I want to boost the alternator amphereage to maintain a battery charge that will be consistent with the drain I will be getting from an engine that will be harder to turn over and harder on the battery of course. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

The Alt has nothing to do with the "turning over" of your engine. That solely relies on your starter. You might want to look into one that is a high torque. The Alt is there to maintain the electronics of your car and recharge your battery after it has been turned on.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Optima batteries have a cold crank of like 800.

I don't know if you will be adding to your cold crank value, but that will be sufficient

Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 AM

your 5.3L LS4 has a compression ratio of 10:1 whereas my 3.5L LZ4 is 9.8:1 i googled a couple websites just be be sure.

http://www.carterchevpoco.com/new-ve...onte-carlo.htm

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/...ons/index.html

Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 PM
15 Year Member

Drewskie: You have been extremely helpful - I appreciate it. Many thanks. Sam (bahdeets)

Quick Reply: Electrical upgrades