Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Automatic transmission gear shift feels 'sticky'

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Default Automatic transmission gear shift feels 'sticky'

I own a 2005 Monte Carlo LS and had my brake pads serviced about 2 weeks ago. I did not drive the car for a couple days after that, then when I finally did, the gear stick felt 'sticky', as if it were catching on something, when shifting from park to reverse, drive, etc. It took a bit of effort to slide the stick down and up, and makes a louder clunking sound as if teeth of a gear are catching. I never experienced this before. The car drives fine. A few days later, the shifter performed like normal. A few days later, it sticks again. Keep in mind, it doesn't stick like I can't move it, it only makes it harder and louder to move. I'm worried something may have been done to it at the garage where I had the pads replaced.

I hate to be 'that guy' that joins a MonteCarlo forum and first post is a question, but after being a lurker of this forum for some time, I finally decided to see if anybody here knew what my issue was all about. Does anyone recognize these symptoms or think there's a possibility it is happening due to negligence at the garage? I thank you for your time!

Old 08-27-2011, 05:44 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Id pull the center console off & check tge shifter itself than if nothings wrong there check the linkage goin to the trans & if not than it might be in the trans