Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Auto Start Stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Default RE: Auto Start Stopped working

well atleast im not the only one with the short distance issue. did they replace it for free when you were still under warrenty? casue im out now to so im wondering if id be better off getting an aftermarket one that goes for 800ft. or would the stock one mess with the aftermarket you think?

Old 12-04-2008, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Will the stock one mess with the aftermarket? Good question. I get mixed answers from the car & alarm installers at various places so I don't know. Guess when I finally talk to someone who had it done, then I will know if I should do it. I want the Viper auto-start car alarm. It has a 1-mile radius to start the car and alert you via keychain if your alarm is going off.

For now inssanity21, you should ask Chevy to change your keychain and see what they say. They did mine without me asking and they told me they did it because it was a defective part on most Montes from that year. I had the car in for a tire pressure sensor that went bad when they did the keychain. For a defect that they are awhere of, the warranty shouldn't be an issue.

How many miles do you have?

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM

i just topped 40000 miles. woo hoo for no issues yet. i have personally put on 7000 miles on this car. it saw 33000 miles in its first year so in terms its been babyd since. but otherwise i just put it in storage and i cant drive it anymore cause i only got storage insurance. so do you know if the defective part is in the keychain or in the car itself?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 AM

It's both. They told me they replaced the keychains and the alarmantenna in the car.

You have ad no issues. Lucky you. I got the car about 18 months ago with about 10,000 miles on it and todat it is at around 42,000 miles....So far I've had to replace (all under warranty):

-Left front tire pressure sensor.
-Right front tire pressure sensor.
-Autostart (BCM)
-Window switch
-Passenger side airbag sensor (located inside passenger seat)
-plastic lever on back of passenger seat that allows you to fold seat forward to let rear passengers get in.
-Left front tire rod
-rack & pinion replacement

& now the BCM is messed up again.

I think by now they should just give me a new car....I'd gladly take A G8 GT!

Old 12-05-2008, 07:12 PM

thats crazy man. its wierd how the same car will do things like that so much differently. a g8 gt....wait for the gxp or in another couple months they are brining manuals on over from what ive heard. do you think that if i send them the parts for my remote start theyll fix it. since i cant drive it no more this year??? (storage)

Old 12-07-2008, 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: bwill314

Seems that every-time I change my air filter, my car messes up. This is the second time since I've had my 06 SS. When I change the air filter the car is cool for a couple of days then it messes up. When I take the key out of the ignition, the car acts like the key is still in there. When I get out of the car, it beeps at me to let me know the key is still in the ignition, but the key is really in my hand. When I go to my car in the morning and open the door, the thing beeps at me again like I left the lights on or the key is still in the ignition?

When this happens, I cannot use my auto start & I really need that this time of year! Has anyone else had this problem? 1st time this happened last year, the car was under warranty and the dealer fixed it free.I don't even remember what they said the problem was but they said nothing about the air filter or air box. I think they said they had to reprogram something.
Tell your dealer to take a look at GMService Information document PIC4324A. This explains the cause of your "key in ignition" warning chime being activated without the key in the ignition. This is caused by a micro switch that sticks.This micro switch is part of the ignition switch.This will also cause the factory remote start to be inoperative.I am a GM dealer technician and have seen a few 06-07 Monte Carlo's & Impala's with this condition. Ignition switch replacement has repaired each one I have had. Hope this helps!!

[/align]
[hr]
[/align]#PIC4324A: Chime With Key Out Of Ignition And Remote Start Inoperative - keywords RKE RVS - (Jun 21, 2007) [/align]
[align=left] [align=left]

Subject:
Chime With Key Out of Ignition and Remote Start Inoperative[/align][align=left]

Models:
2006-2008 Chevrolet Impala[/align][align=left]

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo[/align]

[hr]

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIC4324.
[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
A chime may be heard with the door open and the key out of the ignition. On vehicles equipped with remote start, when the remote start button is pressed on the keyfob after pressing the lock button, there will be lamp verification, but remote start will be inoperative as well.
Recommendation/Instructions:
If the Key In Ignition Switch sticks, the remote start will be inoperative (on vehicles equipped with remote start). Also, the Key In Ignition Chime to sound with the key out of the ignition and the door open. The likely cause is a nick in the plastic plunger on the micro switch.
Verify the scan tool, the Key In Ignition Status parameter is Inactive with the ignition OFF and key out of the ignition, If the status does not inactive, replace the ignition switch.
Note:When diagnosis leads to replacing the ignition switch (which contains the key in ignition micro switch) take special care not to nick or damage the new micro switch during installation.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION [/align]© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved. [/align][/align]

Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks Bowtie. I will bring this info to my appointment Monday. By the way...about how much is a repair like that going to cost me?

Inssanity, I think they would need the car itself. GM is so picky about the stuff they repair for free. When I got the little plastic handle to let the seat up replaced it was so easy to just stick on...they gave it to me in the parts department and before I could walk over and stick it on my car, the service guy told me he had to put it on or else I would have to pay for the part. And yes, I test-drove a G8 GT yesterday and at the same dealer test-drove a Charger SRT-8, So the G8 GT was nice, very nice and a little faster than my SS, but after getting out of that SRT-8, I want power like that so I will definitely be looking to get a G8 GXP one day!

Old 12-07-2008, 12:52 PM

how did you like the interior of that G8? they seemed "cheep" to me. especially the shifter. almost felt like it was peeling off on my hand. (we had the 32 one of 888 from the first "load" at the shop a couple months back) it was still a very nice car. i did notice that it has one of the quitest v8's ive ever hear in my life. im sure with a bit of work itll sound awesome. if your looking for power like right now you could always watch the newspaper for people selling their corvettes, ta's, camaros, etc. alot of people are hurting right now and cars tend to be the first to go.

btw, thanks for the info on that remote, and then also ill have to watch for the ignition thing being stuck.