Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

fan, heater, a/c stopped working

Old 01-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Default fan, heater, a/c stopped working

Here is my problem... This morning I went to meat a friend for lunch. I arrived early so I decided to wait in my car rather than brave the -10F temp. While I was calmly sitting there, the engine started to bog down and started to make the car rock slightly back and forth. I thought it was just a little sputter so I just let it go. 5 seconds later the Check Engine light started flashing and I watched it go solid. Not knowing what to do, I turned my car off. I let it sit for about 5 mins while I waited then started it. Everything ran fine but my check engine light was on, so I shut it off, ate, and went to see if I could get it diagnosed. When I got to the shop, they told me it was going to be $44 for a diagnostic of the light, so I left. I know Advanced Auto and some Auto Zones do it free. So as I left the shop the light turned off. Woo Hoo! So I drove home. On my way I had my heated all the way up, like normal. Then all of a sudden I heard a click and it just stopped... It didnt like coast to a stop, it seemed like it got jammed or something. So I tried the A/C, turned it up and down, tried re starting my car, and even checked the fuses. Nothing works and the fuse seems fine. Its supposed to be a high of 5F for the next week so I would really like to get this fixed... Any one know of some trouble shooting? Dont really have the cash to get it fixed professionally.

Sorry for the long one!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM

The flashing check engine light can mean your car is misfiring. As for the heater fan not working. There is a resister pack under the dash on the passenger side that controls the fan speeds. When it goes bad the fan will not work. A similar thing happened to my friends 02 chevy pickup. Its a black box with an electrical connector plugged into it. I think the part for the truck was around $25-$30, but you have to take the underside dash cover off and crawl around under there to get it it.

You said you checked all the fuses for it. Some times a fuse looks good, but actually it is not. Find the fuse for the heater fan, and swap it around with one of equal value. If that doesn't work, try running a jumper wire from the battery to the heater motor under the hood. If the fan it still good it will spin. If it does spin, I would learn toward the resister pack. If it doesn't, then I would suspect a bad blower motor.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:08 PM

Hey I forgot that I had a blower fuse on the passenger door side. It had blown so I replaced it. I turned the fan on it would not spin. I turned it up to 5 and it blew the fuse again. So now I said screw it and its down in the shop. They will look at it overnight and call me with the verdict... Any of your methods u mentioned sounds expensive either way, but thanks for the heads up.