Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Apprentice Modder Seeks Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 AM

I have been driving the car since Mar 2015. I don't think anything is living inside of it - maybe there still is?

I went to a place called Marco Muffler's in Sacramento and they said my exhaust was restricted a few PSI over the average, I said, "oh great that's $3,000 right there, right?", he says "no, about $350." Honestly... there was a slight improvement upon getting the new cat welded in. (Actually, the man who suggested my exhaust was restricted was a transmission guy - I had went to him when I suspected my transmission needing attention, he said no.)

At least two mechanics and my father have said the car runs fine. I never have agreed. It does run, and reliably I suppose, but I feel like it's missing that "umph."

I believe there has only been one code thrown (unless the other were cleared). A mech was able to search for an old code, one being the oil pressure switch I think it was. I've had to change the same piece of my '03 Impala.

I apologize so much I gave very minimal specs!

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS, 3.4L, 3400 GM engine.
Sold to CA state with 7 miles - Bought from bidder with 113k - Sold to me with 114k - I now have 115k miles. The first thing I noticed when purchasing the car was an rubber elbow tube running coolant through the engine closest the passenger headlight atop the manifold had busted and was spraying liquid all over the serpentine belt. It was an easy fix but may shed some light?

Both the 03 Impala and 01 Monte are 3400, so that is what's making me kind of curious.

Is it possible my wires and plugs and coils could be "weakened" even without throwing codes? If that be the case, I will look into a new air filter (I'd like a high quality one), and new plugs, wires, and coils.

I really appreciate this discussion.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Coils seldom go bad. I have had them go bad, but it's rare. I know someone running around on factory original coils and over 250K miles on a 3400 powered Grand Am.

Plugs and wires do go bad over time. The elements on the tips of the plugs age and weaken and wear. The sheathing on the wires only take so much heat for so long not to mention the core wire element.
If it still has factory original plugs and wires, at over 100K miles CHANGE THEM! The factory plugs were to last to 100K miles, not beyond 150K (change them at 100K). If the wires are AC Delco and have a number for each cylinder, they are still original wires, change them and the plugs. I am a BIG fan of NGK Platinum plugs for the 3400 from RockAuto.com (after shipping, it's normally $2.50-$3 a plug, cheaper then any local parts stores). Go NGK or AC Delco. Do NOT go with BOSCH plugs. BOSCH=Bad.

And again, look at the thread I posted about maintenance done at about 100K miles on these cars. You might just need to do a bunch of that maintenance and your car will thank you later (plugs were mentioned in detail in that thread). I also have at least one 3400/3100 related item that should be considered/inspected/cleaned at 100K miles in that thread.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:42 PM

Thanks Maniac,

I am wondering if it is possible that things can start to wear down and not throw a code? Or am I just noticing things wear out before the computer does?

I will check your thread too, I am learning more about vehicles. I don't have a variety of tools or a jack - not yet at least, but I am more inclined to work on my Monte before I pay a mechanic to. If there are a number of things I can do myself, then I will.

Lic

Old 08-09-2015, 07:00 PM

10 Year Member

Computers and codes are not the end-all-be all. For anyone turning a wrench, they can help point you in the right direction sometimes.

Yes, you can have very distinct problems that may not throw codes. You may see these as problems but as far as the car's computer is concerned, it is within tolerance.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:04 AM

Fellas, this may be a side matter but I wanted to express it.
I am currently plagued with the fact that my LS is not an SS. Is it that much of a difference? Should I bother working on an LS - can the LS do what the SS can do, only when it's required? Or is an SS something I should be aiming for. I heard the 3800s were well-built.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:56 PM

10 Year Member

The 60* platform (3100/3400) and the 90* platform (3800) both have great reliability and most common things to fail over time/miles are cheap and easy to service (cheaper if you are handy working on cars). I have had my hands dirty working on both drive trains for years. All those engines, as long as you maintain them and do regular fluid changes, they are almost bulletproof reliable.

- If you are going for reliability, you are 100% fine where you are at.
- If you just want a little light modding, then again, fine where you are.
- If you want more performance and you are willing to have things custom made (which take time and/or money), you can stay where you are and work with the 3400.
- If you want more performance with better aftermarket support, which would probably reduce your cost, get a 3800 (SC if you're going to do the swap).
- If you want a 100% true SS and wear an SS badge without being a fake, replace your car with a legit SS.

Right now, it looks like you need to figure out what you really want out of this Monte. None of us can tell you what to do, we can only make suggestions, but our suggestions are only as good as the direction you want to go in.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:19 PM

People like to talk good about the 3800 with its stronger engine and dual exhaust and so I always get kind of envious, like I chose the sick goose, but you are right, it's a powerful Monte - just not hyper deluxe. As of right now, I'm clear in sticking with my current Monte and conducting some true maintenance on it. The mileage is still low and it is a breeze to drive, especially after about 30mph. I'm also curious if my mpg is acting up; I took about half a tank to travel 160 miles in two trips.

I plan to review the 100k miles guide and do what work I can before I take the Monte in for brake adjustment (I think they are maladjusted), perhaps a realignment, a wire/spark tune-up, and then I need to focus on the paint problem (attached images).

The paint looks to be a simple kind of buff out the cracks and bumper and then repaint with primer, paint, and finish?

Also my hubcaps are going the way of this honda cap, I reckon this would only take a finesand down (I'm afraid of grittiness though), primer, paint, and finish?

Thank you.

Attached Images
Old 05-20-2016, 03:19 AM
Default what belt is missing on my 96 Monte carlo

I've been told its the serpentine belt and been told its the ac belt. My car still runs. I drove my car and didn't even know it was gone. Just started noticing this noise like something was rubbing against something

Old 05-20-2016, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by vianna76
I've been told its the serpentine belt and been told its the ac belt. My car still runs. I drove my car and didn't even know it was gone. Just started noticing this noise like something was rubbing against something
Hello vianna76,

From your description it sounds like the mechanic may have said something to you like "your belt is gone". If that's the case, he only meant that it needs to be replaced.

You can see the belt when you look at the engine on the passenger side. Ot isn't hard to replace either. I'm sure there is another thread with instructions on how to do that.

Good question.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Licent
Thanks Maniac,

I am wondering if it is possible that things can start to wear down and not throw a code? Or am I just noticing things wear out before the computer does?

I will check your thread too, I am learning more about vehicles. I don't have a variety of tools or a jack - not yet at least, but I am more inclined to work on my Monte before I pay a mechanic to. If there are a number of things I can do myself, then I will.

Lic
That's a great attitude, you'll have your car sorted out in no time and have fun doing it.

Quick Reply: Apprentice Modder Seeks Guidance