Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Apprentice Modder Seeks Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Default Apprentice Modder Seeks Guidance

Hello,

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo LS that I am diggin'.

I have been learning more about the mechanics of vehicles and I'd like to improve my 2001 Monte Carlo LS. At the moment, monte lifts off from stops rather slowly. After about 30mph or so, monte will glide like butter, but from stops, it feels kind of sluggish.
On top of that. I hear a very faint clicking near the alternator.
I also have paint issues I'd like to point out and discuss further in the thread. The issue is minor.

I am wondering if all I have to do is change out the whole exhaust system or can I just switch out a sensor to improve the from-stop pickup?

Thank you!

Attached Images
Old 08-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum

Here is a link to 3400 mods that may help you out

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...p-power-46071/

it lists what all you can do for the car to get the best bang for the buck.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Welcome to the Forum..

Old 08-04-2015, 05:23 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Welcome to the forum!!

Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 PM

Hello,

Thank you all for the welcomes.

And thank you for the list of modifications I can add to my car for upgrades.

As this is the repair help forum, does anybody have any idea what could be causing my car to not "lift-off" from stops? Do all of your stock montes slowly gain speed before gliding at and after about 30mph?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

The 3400 should have some reasonable power off the line. You may need some general maintenance (much of that covered here):
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...0-miles-46078/

But given your description and I believe the '00 and '01 years were known for problems with the catalytic converters, you may want to get the cat checked out.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:07 PM

Thank you.

The car was owned by the state of CA since production for about 12 years. Then sold at auction to a man who kept it on his lawn for a year without driving it. I have since had the atf fluid (and filter) changed, oil (and filter), radiator fluid changed. I was made aware of a restricted exhaust so I had to have the cat replaced. I had a leak in my a/c towards the front of the engine so I had that replaced and a/c recharged. I've had the fuel filter changed.

I'm pretty sure I hear a faint clicking in my alternator and sometimes what sounds like a pop or backfire towards front passenger. When I'm flying down the freeway.

I have no codes. Mechanics say monte runs well and they can't notice anything, but maybe I'm too refined because I notice a slight delay in pickup that I have a feeling shouldn't be that way. I use seafoam occasionally which provides some relief.

I had a '03 Impala base model and I feel that that might have picked up, or was more responsive, upon leaving a stop. I have thought that it could be the alternator, that it could be a camshaft or some other sensor, throttle sensor maybe, maybe bad maf sensor or oxy sensor. The tranny doesn't really slip and seems to grab my gears well (though it seems to be retarded slightly.)
Lic

Last edited by Licent; 08-04-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by Licent
Thank you.

The car was owned by the state of CA since production for about 12 years. Then sold at auction to a man who kept it on his lawn for a year without driving it. I have since had the atf fluid (and filter) changed, oil (and filter), radiator fluid changed. I was made aware of a restricted exhaust so I had to have the cat replaced. I had a leak in my a/c towards the front of the engine so I had that replaced and a/c recharged. I've had the fuel filter changed.

I'm pretty sure I hear a faint clicking in my alternator and sometimes what sounds like a pop or backfire towards front passenger. When I'm flying down the freeway.

I have no codes. Mechanics say monte runs well and they can't notice anything, but maybe I'm too refined because I notice a slight delay in pickup that I have a feeling shouldn't be that way. I use seafoam occasionally which provides some relief.

I had a '03 Impala base model and I feel that that might have picked up, or was more responsive, upon leaving a stop. I have thought that it could be the alternator, that it could be a camshaft or some other sensor, throttle sensor maybe, maybe bad maf sensor or oxy sensor. The tranny doesn't really slip and seems to grab my gears well (though it seems to be retarded slightly.)
Lic
I may have missed it but I didn't wee anywhere that you commented on replacing the Air Filter. This is a big deal to make sure the engine gets good clean Air. You may want to try a K/N Air Filter to see it that might help. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:53 PM

Thanks Drivernumber. Well, when I got the car I struggled to pop the air filter out, and I couldn't so I kind of pried it open and looked and it was bright orange and, I mean, I think there was white. It was still white.. I will check again though. Could it be that simple? Just a change of the air filter. (After state-owned and sitting on this guy's lawn for a year, the air filter could be burned out?)

Old 08-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Licent
(After state-owned and sitting on this guy's lawn for a year, the air filter could be burned out?)
Air filters don't get "burned out" they get plugged with debris, dust, anything. Heck if something took up living in the air box could also be a problem.

Air filter is cheap and easy, give it a check.

I'm still wondering about the cat myself. Even though you replaced it, sometimes you can get a bad one.

Plus, take a peak at the maintenance thread I posted. I popular thing at 100K miles is new plugs and wires.

And if the '03 Impala had a 3400 like your Monte, they should feel the same.

Quick Reply: Apprentice Modder Seeks Guidance