Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Anybody use slotted or drilled brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by ChucksMonte
I bought some drilled and slotted rotors off ebay,I have driven them HARD...they have lasted well over 30k. Will be doing pads this summer but the rotors are fine. My buddy bought the same ones for his 05 mustang GT, drives it harder than me and still has no complaints. Drilled and slotted is a great upgrade, i will probably never go back...
Originally Posted by rockieg00
Yup drilled/slotted rotors front,rear DO make a huge difference in my 00 SS in braking proformance...you'll notice a night and day improvement...any1 disagreeing ..come ride in my car you'll feel with neck snapin back in forth when tapping the brake pedal..
Brands?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:14 PM

As the other guys stated...i got mine 6 months ago form Ebay...think the brand was BrakeMotive?...Since i have had them on No squeaking from the pads or No heat cracks/blue spots on the rotors themselfs...Actually the pads broken in real nice with the rotors....and they were Zinc Platted...no rust spots at all......Does a good job stopping 20in wheels

Old 03-14-2011, 05:37 PM

have you looked into SSBC?? that is what i am gonna go with on my monte, i never really looked into my brakes, they seem fine so far, but i was gonna go with brakes from them, i was thinking a big brake kit, but that may be a bit excessive

Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 PM

My wife had a Thunderbird SC that had the same problem. I found out when the shop was rotating the tires they were using impact wrenches so they were overtorqued and uneven. A buddy of mine is a service manager and he told me to retorque them properly after the tires are rotated. I starting using a torque wrench and resetting to the book settings after every service and never had the problem again. I don't go to that extreme with the rest of my vehicles but I never use impacts when I rotate my tires now, I always use a lug wrench and can pretty much tell when they are the same.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by rbook
My wife had a Thunderbird SC that had the same problem. I found out when the shop was rotating the tires they were using impact wrenches so they were overtorqued and uneven. A buddy of mine is a service manager and he told me to retorque them properly after the tires are rotated. I starting using a torque wrench and resetting to the book settings after every service and never had the problem again. I don't go to that extreme with the rest of my vehicles but I never use impacts when I rotate my tires now, I always use a lug wrench and can pretty much tell when they are the same.
I'll have to say that is some pretty good advice, but I just tighten my lugs until I can't tighten them anymore, not sure if that is the best for them though.... I haven't had a problem yet, but there was a pretty sweet digital torque wrench offered by one of the sponsors here that I think I would have liked to have that has since expired at the discount price......

Old 10-18-2011, 11:31 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I can usually tell also wen my lugs are about the same only use my impact to take em off, i nvr take my car to any shops for stuff like that

Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would just grab a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. I think I got ours for like $25. yes they aren't calibrated to be 100% correct, but you get a really good idea of how much to TQ.