Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Any thoughts?.. NEED TO GET THIS DONE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Any thoughts?.. NEED TO GET THIS DONE!!!

ok im not sure if its even wise to put this on here but, I want to install a kill switch for my car. Seeing as it was broken into not long ago. Iv heard of a couple different ideas on where to tie the switch in with but not sure of which to choose. My buddy said i could tie it in with the driveshaft position sensor... Does that make any sense? i dont know. First off, if that is good to do, i dont even know where that sensor is. any ideas? Please help!! Thanks in advance cause i know this forum is kick-@ss!!

Last edited by matt210; 08-01-2010 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add to title
Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 AM

we wired a switch into the accesory power for the key. not to hard to find the line, and with the switch shut off, nothing is doing anything. we didnt do it to prevent theft, so its right in the open, unlike something you would do. check it out. in in the off topic section under push button star on my buddies old ford. maybe give you an idea.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 AM

You could also run a switch going through the relay for the fuel pump. IDK what you know about switches but there are three male adapters one for the hot + one for the ground, and then the middle adapter is to go into the pos side of your accesory. What you would do is instead of hooking up the switch the correct way, you would cut the hot wire for your fuel relay and put one end of the cut wire into the + terminal of hte switch, then run the other cut side into the switch terminal (usually the middle adapter) and leave the ground adapter alone. Does all that make sense??
If not, let me know and I could look for a pic to explain better. I did alot of work with switches about 2 weeks ago so I know a little about them. Of course when doing this you would unhook your battery throughout the whole process or...

Old 08-02-2010, 06:50 AM

Whatever you use though, I reccomend turning on the switch everytime before you even put the hey into the ignition.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:30 PM

the best way to accomplish this is to find the 12v feed to your coil (there will be a short spark plug wire going from it to you distributor). using a multimeter or 12v tester, hook a lead to ground and the other to one of the 14 gauge wires that plug into the coil. Once you have found the wire that supplies 12v to the coil, following wht02monte's instruction switch that lead. This will cut power to the engines sparkplugs and will not crank, even if they manage to poor gasoline into the engine.

If you would rather, finding the ignition fuse in your electrical fuse box and switching that will have the same effect.

Please take care when splicing into your car's electrical system, as not leaving enough wire can cause you to have to replace entire sections.

I personally switch the 12v on my coil, but my car has significantly less electronics

Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM

"Please take care when splicing into your car's electrical system"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 08-03-2010, 03:24 PM

if your worried about screwing something up. find a ground in your dash behind your kick plate that works for they ignition. to test, just undo the wires from the ground and turn your key to acc. if nothing happens thats your ground. just put a switch bettween the ground and the old wires that went to the ground and you can mount in somewhere underneath your dash easily. when its on, your electrical has the ground and can be used. when its off, there is no ground to complete the circuit.
get what im saying? thats probably the most sensable because then you dont have to run a switch from the engine bay

Old 08-05-2010, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Should/could this work

ok so in my own search of possibilities i have found that removing the 10amp fuse on the driver-side for PCM/BCM/CLSTR makes the car unable to fire. now instead of the pain in the *** time i would have by constantly removing then replacing the fuse, how could i go about wiring a switch in with that? do i have to crack open the fuse box?

Old 08-06-2010, 03:06 AM

basically, or use the wires comming from it. try my last help. i think that will be your easiest choice