Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

airbags

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 PM
Default airbags

I replaced both airbags that deployed in my 04 dale Jr edition. Steering column and passenger dash. I unhooked my battery and did the replacement for both airbags and when I hooked up the battery and checked my fuse the airbag light is still on. Does it have to be cleared out with a diagnostic tool? Hoping so or my clock spring is out of place

Old 04-18-2017, 02:24 AM

I am not 100% sure but I think when the Air bags deploy there is a need to replace the SDM as well. Right now it just sees the system as Deployed. Also again 100% not sure but think your sensors needs to be replaced. If you bought the bag local I would get the Sensors that was with them on the donor car. if bought online may need to have them programmed over a Tech II tool with new SDM.

I haven't replaced any Airbags but This is info that I remember seeing something from somewhere just been to long to find the source of Info.

James

Old 04-18-2017, 05:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by kuntrygirl
I replaced both airbags that deployed in my 04 dale Jr edition. Steering column and passenger dash. I unhooked my battery and did the replacement for both airbags and when I hooked up the battery and checked my fuse the airbag light is still on. Does it have to be cleared out with a diagnostic tool? Hoping so or my clock spring is out of place
You may want to check Youtube there are all kinds of video info there that may lead you to the answer you need.
Just go to google and type in the inquiry also.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't quote me, do some additional research, but..... I am pretty sure the air bag system needs reset with a GM Tech II. There are some services online that can reset the system if you can send them the computer.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Don't quote me, do some additional research, but..... I am pretty sure the air bag system needs reset with a GM Tech II. There are some services online that can reset the system if you can send them the computer.
I concur with Jason The_Maniac. There is a feature in the Tech 2 menu under "Special Functions"- SIR for resetting air bags after deployment. Either a Tech 2 or a scanner that can emulate one is required.

Last edited by plumbob; 04-21-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

On a related matter, I have a question:

For FWD Montes, is there only one impact sensor for the front (and only one for the rear), or are there two on each end? (I'm curious to know exactly where they are.)