Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

air conditioner lines leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default air conditioner lines leaking

Hi guys, I hope everyone is good. I have an issue with my 03 SS 3.8L N/A. Today I went out and purchased Seafoam and power steering fluid for my car to do a flush on the power steering pump. I did the flush from the return line (rubber that connects to the reservoir). I flushed the system out nicely and replaced the fluid to its optimal level, but during all this I could hear a hissing noise coming from one of the lines that connects to the A/C accumulator. The line was rubbing against the Valve body cover for the transmission. I lift the aluminum line and there was a little hole leaking gas (which I assume is freon). I got scared and thought it was from the power steering pump but after doing a little research I found out it was my A/C. I also tested my A/C and its very weak. Could this be due to the hot transmission causing that, and do you guys have any suggestions to a simple cost effect DIY repair or do I have to replace the whole line. Thanks for taking the time to help me with my issue. BTW, the power steering is much smoother than before .

Peace,
George

Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

The leak probably doesnt have anything to do with heat. If the line was rubbing on the trans it probably just wore a hole through the line. They are just aluminum lines so they are prone to damage. You should replace the line since they are made to hold pressure. Make sure the new line doesnt rub in the same spot or you will have the same problem over time.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member

Hey Matt, I appreciate your feedback. Does the system have to get bled from air after I install it or does it even matter? Is this a DIY'er or do I have to take it to a mechanic to get it installed? Thanks again for your help, and have a good easter.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 AM

Hi George,
Check out the below link to see if it helps you with your question(s)-Problem...Also check back 2 see what our expert tech member's post. Good Luck & Happy Easter to you 2 : )
How to Fix Your Car's Air Conditioner - wikiHow

Click above link

Old 04-22-2011, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for your recommendation kid. It seems like I have a more important issue to deal with at hand. During my power steering flush yesterday, I took out the clamped rubber hose from the resovoir and ran the car with seamfoam inside the steering system (which was what a rep at partsource recommended) So I did that and ran the car without the rubber hose plugged in and all the seafoam came out of the rubber hose. I did what the can said and replaced the fluid with prestone P/S fluid. This was yesterday. I wake up this morning only to notice that there were little drips of steering fluid on the floor. The reason I replaced the fluid was due to a croaking noise my steering system made when in gear (my confession is I curbed the car last year on the right side and ever since then my steering has been croaking when turning the steering about 360 deg. So I assumed it would be my power steering system. I jacked the car up a few minutes ago, and the car is still croaking and dripping p/s fluid ever so slowly (its running along the frame). I hope to God that my rack & pinion has not gone bad due to me curbing the car. Could the a/c line could have been effected from touching the steering line? Guys, I appreciate your help and I hope I can get an answer soon to find out if this is a serious problem. Just so you guys know, I did not unclip any of the lines from the frame.