Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Air conditioner help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 PM
HGM
Default Air conditioner help

I have a 01 SS and the AC is not working. I was getting nothing on the high or low pressure side. I added Freon and low pressure went to 35 lbs high had almost nothing. Is the whole front of the compressor the clutch? Should what appears to be the clutch on the compressor spin when it is engaged? It doesn't look like the clutch is engaging when I turn the AC on. The only fuse I found was a 10 amp labeled ac comp. in the box under the hood which was ok. Is there another fuse or relay anywhere?

Thanks

Old 04-25-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by HGM
I have a 01 SS and the AC is not working. I was getting nothing on the high or low pressure side. I added Freon and low pressure went to 35 lbs high had almost nothing. Is the whole front of the compressor the clutch? Should what appears to be the clutch on the compressor spin when it is engaged? It doesn't look like the clutch is engaging when I turn the AC on. The only fuse I found was a 10 amp labeled ac comp. in the box under the hood which was ok. Is there another fuse or relay anywhere?

Thanks
While I don't have the answer you are looking for, I also have the same problem with my 01 SS. I should at least be able to hear the compressor kick on, when the button is pressed, right? Like on every other vehicle I've owned? It makes a noticeable difference in sound, yes? (that's about the extent of my mechanical troubleshooting) When I hit the A/C button with the hood open, it doesn't seem to do anything, sounds the same. I too, checked the fuses, no luck there.

I don't mean to jack ya thread, hoping someone has some information for both of us.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:45 AM

take your cars into a place that does free a/c checks to find out your problems.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:15 PM

well first of all unless u r a certified a/c tech u r not allowed to open ur a/c system. second make sure you are actually using the right "freon" (r-134a?) and there is also oil in the system. third you will hear your compressor come on...all in all take your car in and get it checked out