Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Adding a dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Default Adding a dash cam

I recently purchased a dash cam for 04 Monte Carlo. The drivers in the Osceola County, Fl area can be best described as...well, idiots. Not all, but a good number have no idea how traffic light work. I added a dash cam as a means of protection and documentation. That being said, the dash cam I purchased is very good, affordable and discrete. The problem I'm having is the auxiliary plug (cigarette lighter port); it is always on. Naturally this is a parasitic drain on my battery when the car is off. I have some knowledge with this subject. It is my understanding that, on some cars, this can be fixed by changing the placement of the fuse; changing it from the "always on" slot to the "only on when the car is running" slot in the fuse box. Is this the case for my 2004 Monte Carlo LS? Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter.

F.V.A.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I do not believe these cars have an alternate adjustment for the fuse. It is what is is.

You may want to tap into a different circuit completely in the car and either direct wire the cam or wire a second power socket.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Perhaps I do not remember accurately, but I thought the power outlet on the rear of the console powered down when the ignition was in the off position. My dash cam has a pretty long wire, it would stretch that far. I would check on my Monte but is still is in the dang shop... I hate to even think of it, been gone about 4 months now...

Old 08-29-2017, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheFabe19
I recently purchased a dash cam for 04 Monte Carlo. The drivers in the Osceola County, Fl area can be best described as...well, idiots. Not all, but a good number have no idea how traffic light work. I added a dash cam as a means of protection and documentation. That being said, the dash cam I purchased is very good, affordable and discrete. The problem I'm having is the auxiliary plug (cigarette lighter port); it is always on. Naturally this is a parasitic drain on my battery when the car is off. I have some knowledge with this subject. It is my understanding that, on some cars, this can be fixed by changing the placement of the fuse; changing it from the "always on" slot to the "only on when the car is running" slot in the fuse box. Is this the case for my 2004 Monte Carlo LS? Thank you in advance for any assistance in this matter.

F.V.A.
Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I do not believe these cars have an alternate adjustment for the fuse. It is what is is.

You may want to tap into a different circuit completely in the car and either direct wire the cam or wire a second power socket.
Yea my 05 SS has this exact feature.. You move the fuse to another slot as he says.. Perhaps I could get a pic up later on..

Old 08-30-2017, 09:13 AM

Thanks to The_Maniac, ZIPPY02 AND wht02monte for your responses. I know for sure that the rear socket powers down with the the car and I have plans to hard wire it to that line. The dash company sent me a cord somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 feet long. My wife and I laughed about it, but when i told her about hard wiring the line to the rear socket she stopped laughing. She loves the car as much as I do and she knows how labor intensive some of my projects get. She's afraid I'm gonna pull out the dash and center console. That made me laugh. Anyway, thanks for the help and I love y'alls Montes! Truly BAD ***!

Old 09-01-2017, 05:41 PM

I cheated with my dashcam. My head unit is running
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G6XRGBU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504305408&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pumpkin+head+unit&dpPl=1&dpID=51jOL9mP8SL&ref=plSrch https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01G6XRGBU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504305408&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=pumpkin+head+unit&dpPl=1&dpID=51jOL9mP8SL&ref=plSrch
android 5.1 so I added a cheap USB cam and downloaded a dash cam app. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details%3Fid%3Dcom.happyconz.blackbox%26hl%3Den%26referrer%3Dutm_source%253Dgoogle%2526utm_medium%253Dorganic%2526utm_term%253Dautoboy%2Bblackbox%2Bapp%26pcampaignid%3DAPPU_1_6OGpWeX3LoHtmAGXkrmwDg&ved=0ahUKEwjli-iah4XWAhWBNiYKHRdJDuYQ5YQBCCUwAA&usg=AFQjCNGvolIcNypFzTzK2A7jehRwv0TcUg

Old 09-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My 7th gen had a fuse in the passenger kick panel labeled 'RAP' for Retained Accessory Power. I tapped that one and hardwired a lighter socket to it. Power went up the A pillar and over to the camera.