Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2004 monte carlo ss randomly wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Question 2004 monte carlo ss randomly wont start

I got this 2004 ss few weeks back heres the problem it randomly wont start.
Only way to get to start sometimes is to turn key really fast that doesn't work all the time either.
It had to codes O2 and camshaft sensor and fuel filter I changed both but the camshaft sensor keeps coming back as soon as car starts. It has spark and gas and I have no security light on either.
People say starter they say ignition and fuel pump but when car start it runs but I do notice a loss of power for like 1 sec when on the gas.
Theres only one thing I found that might be problem that is camshaft mirror sprocket thing and maybe that's why camshaft sensor is still and why I have to turn key fast to to get it to start?
If my car sits over night or few hours it seems it will start right up but if I start car more then 4 or 5 times it will not start unless it sits. doesn't matter if its hot or cold either.
To change to camshaft mirror its over 500 dollars and 7 hours labor does anyone know where the mirror is or how to change it? please help
Or what else it could be thanks

Old 09-01-2017, 02:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If that's really what the problem is...the camshaft mirror sprocket is attached to the cam shaft and is under the timing chain cover on the front of the engine, behind all the pulleys.
I've never heard of anyone having to replace that sprocket though. Here's a couple links to video with a problem similar to yours.
In the first video shows an older series 3800. The problem was bad wires and connector into the sensor caused by fluid dripping onto it.:

This second video has a guy showing where the bolt hole is where he removed the cam position sensor. Note the corrosion around the hole. I would bet this car had a coolant leak from the lower intake manifold that dripped onto and shorted out the sensor, and your's might too. Check closely, this is a common problem.

Last edited by plumbob; 09-01-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:51 PM

my 03 SS did something like this a while back, turned out I had a bad cell in my battery, had it tested and they said it was fine, went to leave my mechanic and it wouldn't start! he put the tester on again and it showed battery bad!! replaced and no issue!

Old 09-03-2017, 05:51 AM

Thanks for all help I'm going to swap out battery cuz I have an extra one to see.Did the bad battery throw a camshaft sensor error too? I hope it is the battery lol