Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS Light On - Traction Off - Service Traction System

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:33 PM

I had the ABS/ Traction Service light problem when I bought the car, guess that is why the Dealer unloaded the car, was going to send it to Auction. Along with the check engine light. I was lucky and dodged the $400 bill for am new wheel bearing, my mechanic found the RR sensor unplugged, plugged it in, cleared the code, gone. The check engine was three codes, purge solenoid, tank pressure sensor and fuel level sensor. I replaced the purge valve along with the vacuum tree to the intake and the pressure sensor, about ten miles the check engine light went off. I have to replace either the level sensor or put in a new fuel pump. I am giving the fuel pump/tank the Marvel Mystery Oil treatment, going to use a 32oz bottle, four oz at a per ten gallons of gas, might clean the fuel tank and level sensor, if not after the bottle gone; I'll decide whether to replace or repair fuel pump. I already have almost $50 in the tank pressure sensor, you get a new one with a new fuel pump, another $50 for a level sensor and got to pull the pump. I anyone needs to get the check engine light cleared, buy a new pressure sensor, should turn off engine light if it that is what is coding, for emission inspection.....

Old 09-02-2021, 09:16 PM
Default Test sensors without removing tires

Originally Posted by plumbob
Having the same issue on the '00 SS. Trac off, ABS and Service Traction System lights. Hooked up the Tech 2 and got DTC C1218 "Pump Motor Circuit Shorted to Voltage or Motor Ground Open". Did some research on YouTube and found this video:

GM ABS code C1218 diagnosis: 01 Chevy Impala - YouTube

After watching I wiggled the connector into the EBCM and all lights and DTC cleared. Just a loose or dirty connection. I will be unplugging the connector and give it a good cleaning this weekend.

Here's a couple good videos on the subject and how to test the harness(s):

How To Fix ABS & Traction OFF / Service Traction System Light Monte Carlo Chevy Impala Buick Century - YouTube

ABS Light and Traction Control Off Indicator - 2004 Chevy Implala - YouTube
This video is great, after watching it you now know how to unplug the abs plug under your hood. When you are looking at the plug you will see four large connectors on one end. towards the other end you will see two rows of contacts. The row with the most of the connectors contains the connections for the wires going to the wheels. The two connectors in that row that are the closest to the large connectors are the ones going to the right rear wheel. Test between these two connectors with your ohm meter. You should get a small amount of resistance showing a complete circuit. The next two connectors are for the left rear wheel. Test between these two contacts and you should get the same reading you got on the other rear wheel. The next two connectors are for the right front wheel, test between these as you have done on the other two. The next two connectors are for the left front wheel. Test these also. There should be one connector left you have not tested. I do not know where it goes, but you don,t need it. Take a look at your readings, and the odd ball should be your problem child. From here you will have to go on to find out if it is the wiring, or the sensor. Mine turned out to be the sensor. I have ordered a new wheel bearing with sensor and believe this will cure my problem. This is a lot easier than removing all the wheels and testing at the wire and the sensors individually which is what I had to do first since I did not know this to begin with.

Old 04-30-2022, 05:03 AM

I found a broken wire going to the wheel speed sensor on the left side. Hiding away inside the plastic coating going back to the motor. No more than a foot from the sensor. ABS and traction restored

Old 05-03-2022, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Boyd83
I found a broken wire going to the wheel speed sensor on the left side. Hiding away inside the plastic coating going back to the motor. No more than a foot from the sensor. ABS and traction restored
Glad you found the issue but something else might be off in my experience. Whenever that has happened to me, either a tie rod was off or an axle cv boot was ripped and destroyed the wiring due to bad alignment. Also sometimes those ****s just get old and brittle. Just make sure you have good clearance when you reinstalled them.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, been a minute since you have posted on here. You still have your sic tricked out Monte? We should try to meet up some time, being this close and all. Remember you were into motorcycle racing etc. and were slowing down with the Monte. You do have a special car, you built it back in the day when one could get nice aftermarket parts and then did one off Wilwood brakes etc. (I'm jealous about those).

Old 05-07-2022, 04:15 PM
Default Abs

Recently was getting light on light off some noise from ABS my solution was 2 fold
i replaced the hubs that resolved the ABS and noise.. I had a dragging bearing The other was intermittent. Replaced both harnesses on the front problem solved. Freedom for 2 weeks now . good luck

Old 05-14-2022, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Wow, been a minute since you have posted on here. You still have your sic tricked out Monte? We should try to meet up some time, being this close and all. Remember you were into motorcycle racing etc. and were slowing down with the Monte. You do have a special car, you built it back in the day when one could get nice aftermarket parts and then did one off Wilwood brakes etc. (I'm jealous about those).
Hey Zip, if you were speaking to me, sorry man, I didn't see this until now. See my other thread. Yes I've been mia but i still have my SLP. You still running record breaking time attacks in your beast???
The brake setup, you wouldnt love if you've seen the bills for maintenance and such. The rotors alone are insane! Pads are not so bad but don't get me started on the calipers! Lol