Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

99 Monte Carlo LS

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Question 99 Monte Carlo LS

First and for most I appreciate any help anyone gives me. I'm not a mechanic just going by things I've heard.

I'm having electrical problems with my monte. Here is a list of issues:

Lower brake lights aren't working all the time they seem to work at night but besides that nothing

Driver side power window runs out of power to move or moves slow

Sometimes car won't start I have 3 keys so we can rule that out. More details below. *a

Radio fuse blows often

ABS light is on. most likely why > I do have corrosion around abs fuse

Check engine light is on. Catalytic converter is off sensor is most likely the problem but this could mask other problems not sure.

Engine idles loud (whining sound) no vibrations though

*a when the car won't start the security light is on. If I wait for the security light to go off and turn the key on the off position then on it starts every time. I've been told to get new security switch but I think it's odd that all these electrical issues are happening on the driver side of the vehicle. Again any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chiisu
99 Monte Carlo LS

Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the brake lights are most likely the multi-function switch in the steering colum, for the turn signal stalk. if you're turn signals also act goofy i'd lean towards that being the problem.

for the power window issue, it helps a TON to pull the door panels off and lubricate the tracks with a good product like PB blaster or white lithium grease. over the years the tracks get gummed up and the mechinisim gets rusty, without lubrication it will burn the motor out (as i found out the hard way).

abs light start with cleaning the relays & fuses for it with some sandpaper and see if that helps.

for the check engine light take the car to autozone or advanced auto and get the codes read for free, have a pen & paper handy to write them down. have them erased, drive the car a bit and see if the light comes back. if it does, have the codes read again and see which ones came back.

for the engine idle noise, check the belts and pullys, especially the tensioner assembly and a/c compressor pully. also check the power steering fluid leval ( it uses a dipstick on the fill cap, don't overfill it!)