Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'98 Monte Rear View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Angry '98 Monte Rear View Mirror

Seems simple enough, right? Rear view mirror falls off. Go buy some glue, stick it back on. Back in business.

Well, mine did not go nearly as smoothly as that. After some sweat and prying with a screw driver, I was able to remove what I'll call the "cleat" from the mirror itself. The little metal part that sticks to the glass and holds everything up. So I proceeded to stick that cleat to the glass after cleaning it all up and marking my spot. The glue I got works really well by the way. That thing isn't budging. So this metal cleat is angled so it looks like you should start at the top and apply some pressure while sliding the mirror down over this metal piece and the mirror will snap back into place. Except I don't think the strength of a grizzly can snap this thing on. In fact, I've busted my windshield pressing too hard on it and now I have some fine new cracks in the glass to look through while driving.

I'm either doing something completely wrong here or this thing is a royal pain in the butt to put back on. I'm hoping anyone who's successfully completed this task, will see my post and be kind enough to enlighten me. I'm hoping to salvage this project and get a mirror in place and drive with a broken windshield for awhile before having to replace it.

Thanks,
Chad

Old 09-20-2013, 04:32 PM

I'm in the same boat! I actually have a 91 caprice wagon but one of the guides on the stock (slide on/retaining screw style) rear view mirror broke. Went to the pull a part, 50 miles away, but couldn't find one in a caprice, estate wagon, custom cruiser or regular roadmaster that had the map lights. I'm talking like 17 cars easy! I did find one from a 99 monte carlo that looked promising. Figured it was only $7 and worth the risk. Plugged it in, map lights came on, everything was looking good. Unplugged it, came home and went to install the mounting plate but......

How the hell do you mount this thing?!!!

I was able to pry off the mount button without damaging the mirror or retaining clip but now I have no idea how to install the mirror onto the button without ending up like celloyd!

Seriously....i have no clue how to install this thing. This post probably is a wam bam thank you....MC enthusiast for me but inquiring minds really want to know!

Thanks for any comments or suggestions

THE_JIGGLER

Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 PM
Default hey

Y not just get the repair kit that comes with several tabs? They restick better anyway

Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 AM

Guys, isn't there a allen screw that secures the mirror to that "cleat"? I had to re-glue mine years ago and I remember a little allen screw.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by glasspilot
Guys, isn't there a allen screw that secures the mirror to that "cleat"? I had to re-glue mine years ago and I remember a little allen screw.
Nope. The one I pulled does not have an allen screw. it's like this:

1) Button to windshield
2) rear view to button
3) clip over rear view mount arm

I just came from O'reilly's auto. The manager there was dumbfounded! I also called the chevy dealership but they weren't any help. they said it just slides on which makes me think they have a generic illustration for rear view mirrors. I put the clip back on to the arm without the button in place. It appears that it may slide on but will not lock into the same position as before. At least not all the way...and not without using excessive force that will most likely make the mounting button pop off again. I'm going to mount the button and give it a shot. Worse comes to worse, it'll fall off and I'll have to buy another pack of rear view glue from walmart for 2 bucks. I think they used this design so that if the rear view did fall off, the mounting button wouldn't fall off separately and end up going into the dash pad vents. Who knows...

Old 09-21-2013, 11:44 AM

My bone-head problem was that I did not pay attention taking it off and then glued the metal cleat on upside down. Right side up, it works beautifully and the mirror does slide on with a little effort. Still scary after busting the original windshield. Expensive lesson for not paying attention when taking it off.