Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

87 monte coil springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 87 monte coil springs

Hey everybody! I have some coil spring questions. First off, my car is a 1987 luxury sport. It has a 91 model 350 with iron heads and a quadrajet intake. I want to run 225/50/15's in the front and 255/60/15's in the rear. I was thinking about using afco racing springs or something similar. They come in kinda universal sizes, and I think you measure the outside diameter and length of your stock springs and if you want to use these springs to lower your car you just buy however many inches shorter than stock you want to lower the car. Is this right? Or am I about to screw up pretty bad? Stock springs are 5.5" o.d. by 12" long for the rear and the front is the same only 1 inch shorter than the rear. This car is my toy so I'm not too concerned with a stiff ride if it helps the car corner better and lower the stance a little bit. And spring rates? I have no clue about that. Has anyone else used these racing springs and can I use these to lower my car without modifying anything else? A new set of name brand lowering springs cost a good bit so I wanted to use the afco's because they're a lot cheaper and comfort is not a huge factor for me. If anyone knows about this (and the spring rates) I would very much appreciate some info! BTW I've never changed conventional springs before, just struts.