Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

86 SS runs bad when wet out

Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Default 86 SS runs bad when wet out

For years my car has had a miss under slight acceleration like going up a hill. The car has had a new fuel pump, carb, plugs, wires, cap, roter all within the last year and about 8 years ago a new coil.

About a week ago the car wouldnt start during an ice storm and left me stranded. This is when I bought a new Qjet carb for it and the car starts great now. For about a week the car has been running fairly good but the old miss seems like its got worse (but the weather has also been getting colder). Anytime you put the car under a load it will miss (like going up a hill). If you really get on it while it hesitates some the car runs fairly good.

Well last night during the first winter rain (a week since ive put the carb on) the car was running terrible. I was hardly able to keep it running to get it home and it died once but fired right back up. The car was missing terribly and backfiring some, after about 10 mins it started to run a little better. Once I got it home I put it under a load by holding the brakes down and giving it a little gas and the car had good pulling power at that time.

Help me my Monte is dying!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Default RE: 86 SS runs bad when wet out

like they say KISS (keep it simple and stupid). i'd do a WHOLE tune up again. yes it sucks but hey its cheeper then chasing down problems that could not be there. plugs (ac delco rapid fires), wires (gm if you can) cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter and pcv. when the car has its miss. is it pinging? what gas are you running? if the tune up doesnt do anything go to a repetuable carb shop to have the car tuned. q-jets are hard to tune being that you really should use the vac guage on them. also, check the timing. it should be 6-7*.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:51 PM

I agree that a tune-up is in order, however you mentioned several times that this problem occurs during wet weather. I had that problem years ago while in the Air Force stationed in England (very wet climate during winter). MOISTURE on the plug wires, dist cap, etc. Also, maybe moisture inside the dist cap. Also, the engine may fire and run OK while sitting in the driveway but act up when under a load. If it runs OK during DRY weather then you need better wires and maybe spray them with silicone to keep out the moisture. I used WD-40 back in those days and it worked. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:16 AM

X2 on the cap. I had that problem with my 78 Camaro. But redoing most of the electrical system will help.

Old 12-17-2006, 06:24 PM

do a full tune up man like everyone said....i had the same prob on my 85 ss and i did a full tune up and man it run beautiful....my boot were cracked rotor was arcing and the cap was pitted and burnt....and plugs were not tight...do it right man...and it to do too....

Old 12-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Had kind of the same problem with my 85SS. It was a bad connection at the ecu. Good luck

Have a nice day..

Old 12-21-2006, 06:21 PM

first off I would go back to the carb.
Since it seems like it is running worse now since you installed the carb. It sounds like the choke is not fully opening up.
Also make sure you change the fuel filter as well.