Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2007 LT wont start when wet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:04 PM
dcd
Default 2007 LT wont start when wet?

I purchased a 2007 Monte Carlo LT a couple of weeks ago. The only problems with it were the instrument panel backlight was not coming on, and the shifter button was sticking. The dealer fixed both issues for me.

Ever since getting my car back from the dealer, it will not start when left outside overnight. The remote start makes a weak attempt and quits, and turning the key just gives a clicking sound. I have been able to get it running with a jump every day, and then it runs for the rest of the day with no problems.

Yesterday I had my mechanic look at the car. He could not find anything wrong with it. He suggested I take it to a certain battery place and have them further test the battery. I did, and they said that the battery was fully charged and fully functional. They attempted to charge the battery and it would not take a charge. They said the battery was already fully charged. They also said that the alternator could not have charged the battery that much in the short drive to the shop. So I believe that the battery is not really dead in the mornings. They did find a loose connection on the negative battery terminal and fixed that. We thought the problem was solved.

This morning the car was again moist from dew overnight and again would not start. I jumped the car again, drove to work, and I have gone out and started it with no problems 3 times since.

I am starting to think that the problem is only when the car is wet. Anyone have any ideas? I am of course taking it back to the dealer again, but I have actually been in possession of my car less than half of the time that I have owned it, and I would like to have a theory prepared for them in hopes it will reduce repair times. Anyones thoughts are appreciated.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Default RE: 2007 LT wont start when wet?

Well I'd have them replace the battery and the alternator as a start. Not sure if it is the moisture that is making the car not start.
I know a lot of Monte, impalas, and GP's have had either bad battery or bad alternator.
Did you have the dealer check for any codes the car might be throwing? Have them do that.
Did you buy the car new or used?
Do you know the previous owner if used? maybe he can shed some light on the issues.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:09 PM
dcd

thanks.

i bought it used and i do not know the previous owner. however i have found his remote turn on wire for an amp jammed in my fusebox, so id love to have a few words with him

i did not have anyone check for computer codes yet. thanks for the tip, that will be my next step.

i am going to park in the garage tonight and find out in the morning if it starts up when dry.

nice pic btw, your SS looks great.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:25 PM

[align=center]Hi `Drew and Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Sorry to read that you are having problems with your 07LT [X(][/align][align=center]`Big L.K., gave some great infor in his abovepost.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How many miles are on your Monte ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Do you know if your Monte was a Rental ? : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Ask your dealer `if they can do or have a CarFax Report[/align][align=center]on your Monte ? (It will give owner history etc)[/align][align=center]Also there has been a lot of flood cars hitting the resale market[/align][align=center]from many states in the USA.[/align][align=center]Florida has a lot of flooded cars -vehicles now,[/align][align=center]and they all end up somewhere.[/align][align=center]Not every dealer is honest, and sometimes they dont know[/align][align=center]they purchased or got a bad car[/align][align=center]until there is a problem with the car : ([/align][align=center]Buyer BeWare 4 Sure[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]
however i have found his remote turn on wire for an amp jammed in my fusebox, so id love to have a few words with him
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]When you take your Monte into the shop, have them[/align][align=center]check the jammed wire in the fusebox <~ Should not be [/align][align=center]that way : ([/align][align=center]Is your remote start factory installed or aftermarket ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Yours is the first Monte that Ive read on the MCF[/align][align=center]concerning `wont start when wet.[/align][align=center]I don`t think it is a charactistic problem with the Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Drew, please keep us updated on your resolve, and we[/align][align=center]wish you good future luck with your Monte Carlo.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please be patience and give other members a chance to read[/align][align=center]your posts, and hopefully they may have additional[/align][align=center]information, and hopefully a solution.[/align][align=center]Good Luck from[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 08-27-2008, 02:14 PM

I had a similar problem, but it'd only die after letting the car sit for a few days here at college. One place said the battery was good even though I saw on his scanner that the CCA were at 46 or something like that (should be atleast 700 on that battery). Took to another place and they said that it was the CCAs that were shot and hooked me up with a new battery, so far so good.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:24 PM
dcd

Thank you both for your responses!

Unfortunately i JUST went outside and found my MC dead again. It is dry as can be out. I think my moisture theory is now out.

I did obtain a carfax report prior to purchasing the vehicle. It WAS a former rental car, but so was almost every MC i looked at before making my buy. There must have been alot of rental MC's in recent years. The car has 39000 miles. It was a rental 0-20,000, then had a 2nd owner from 20,000-38,000. My remote start is factory installed; nothing on the car is aftermarket. I hard wired a radar detector to the rearview, but have removed it once I experienced this problem.

I have the notorious keyless entry range issue, and I had my favorite car audio shop redo the ground for my keyless entry antenna. This was because my local GM service center refused to do it unless i first paid them $50 to reprogram the remotes to the car as their first troubleshooting step. I thought that sounded ridiculous and said no thanks. When my audio shop was working on it, I had them clean up the fusebox/remote wire. (side note: regrounding my antenna with a self-machining screw did nothing to imrpove the 10 foot keyless range.)

I just called my dealer and he offerred to make another service appointment for me. I guess the car will go back to the dealer yet again.

Right about now I am really regretting my decision to purchase one that was just out of warranty. I am a huge GM fan and figured I would not have to worry about issues on an '07. I just got out of a 1991 buick I drove for 5 years/100k without ANY problems.

Thank you all for the detailed responses. I will keep you updated on the status of my problem.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:44 PM

Your car is still under warranty and there are a few TSB's out on the keyless entry so they should not be asking for money. Call Chevy customer service and explain the problem they will give you a ticket number and a rep will do a follow up. So take the car to the dealer give them the chevy ticket number see what they say now. They ask for any money call chevy again and let them know. Also you could go to a different chevy dealer.

Also there are TSB's out on the alternator and battery issue. I do not have the TSB numbers but maybe someone on here can look them up??

Old 08-27-2008, 06:23 PM
dcd

ORIGINAL: big_mecho13

Your car is still under warranty and there are a few TSB's out on the keyless entry so they should not be asking for money. Call Chevy customer service and explain the problem they will give you a ticket number and a rep will do a follow up. So take the car to the dealer give them the chevy ticket number see what they say now. They ask for any money call chevy again and let them know. Also you could go to a different chevy dealer.

Also there are TSB's out on the alternator and battery issue. I do not have the TSB numbers but maybe someone on here can look them up??
thank you. but why do you say my car is in warranty? it has 39,000 miles. i had been told that GM does somewhat of a grace period their warranties, and i asked about this at the service center. they told me they will not do warranty work if the odometer is 1 mile over. obviously i was not real happy with the guy and am looking for another service center to try around here. i work 45 miles away so i have a whole other town to try...

as my car was dead after work, i was planning to put a new battery in here in a few minutes. i will try and find those TSB's first.

edit: found this http://www.chevroletforum.com/recall...d_4255/TSB.htm

Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 PM

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for my 06 LT. Already had the trunk weather strip replaced after i found about an inch of water hangin out with my spare tire.

Sorry i cant shed any light on your car troubles,you'd think theGM technicians could diagnose this problem at the dealership.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 AM
dcd

well i am a freakin idiot. i am pretty ashamed to have to come back here and post that this was my fault.

i had previously hard wired my beltronics radar detector into the power running to my rearview mirror. i have the simple mirror, just a + and - running down for the lamps in the bottom. no autodim or onstar or anything.

i had removed the radar detector thinking that it could be causing a power drain. i did not remove the wire.

guess what... the small piece of telephone wire was still drawing power although not plugged into anything. i removed the wire last night. car seems to be fixed.

hopefully someone else can learn from my stupid mistake here, before they call their dealer and start a thread and make themselves look like a fool like i did

Quick Reply: 2007 LT wont start when wet?