Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

86 monte starte wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 PM
1 Year Member
Default 86 monte starte wiring

i'm thinking i might have wired my starter wrong...i have an 86 4.3 6cyl engine...i got water from Sandy as you know, so i decided to change the starter...i pulled out the old starter and tried to keep in my mind the wires i pulled off...but it took me a week to get to the job of changing it, and i forgot which wires go where...i changed the positive battery cable, and i know that one goes on the center post on the starter...but i had two other wires and i don't remember if they were both on the post to the right of the center, or if one was on the center and the other to the right...anyway, when i try to start the car, i just get a click, and the fan rotates about an inch...i also noticed that the radio keeps ejecting the CD every time i turn the ignition...so i was hoping i wired it wrong...if i did, i have hope that the engine is still good...any help?.....

Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the engine is turning over - even a little bit - then the wiring is correct.

Is the battery fully charged? Are all connections of both battery terminals clean/tight at both ends? If that all looks good it may be that one of the components driven by a belt has suffered damage from the water and seizing up. Try loosening all your belts and see if the engine will turn over then. If it does check your alternator, ps pump, etc to find which one has seized.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If the engine is turning over - even a little bit - then the wiring is correct.

Is the battery fully charged? Are all connections of both battery terminals clean/tight at both ends? If that all looks good it may be that one of the components driven by a belt has suffered damage from the water and seizing up. Try loosening all your belts and see if the engine will turn over then. If it does check your alternator, ps pump, etc to find which one has seized.
that's great info...i will check this out now...really appreciate your feedback....