General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Monte no starte

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Default Monte no starte

We have been having issues since last fall with car occasionally not starting. About a year ago heater fan would not work on settings 1&2, then if you tried to lock doors not using key a fuse would blow. Next the security light came on. We changed the heater resistor, the old one was melted. Now heater works on all settings but 4 and since we changed that car not starting more frequently. Have new fan motor on order. Two weeks ago turned key didnt start tried again, started but dash lit up like x-mas tree, abs, check engine, only gauge that worked was speedometer, gas, battery, tach etc. didn't work. This past week, car starts up fine in am when cooler weather temps after sitting in sun all day, won't start,weird clicking noise coming from under dash, dome lights flicker, and when I take key out chime still goes off. On hooked battery waited 10 minutes tried to start, wouldn't,repeated...after 45 minutes started and when it did, battery gauge didn't work, gas gauge said 3/4 tank only had 1/4 tank, and all the way home, 20 mile trip, MSG center kept rotating sic engine soon, battery, and security...we think it's the bcm but not sure...any suggestions?

Old 05-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could also be your Passlock system starting to act up.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

All of this started after the resistor was changed for the heater fan? Sounds almost like a wire harness isn't plugged in right, or the wires are pinched. I've never taken my Monte's dash apart so I can't tell you exactly.

The resistor for fan speeds 1&2 going bad is common. It's just the way GM designed the heater in certain model years. 1&2 goes because they're on the same resistor, and those are the speeds most commonly used.

Blowing a fuse when you use the power door locks sounds like a wiring issue. You have a wire shorting somewhere, or the circuit is being overloaded by something. If there was any aftermarket electrical work done in your car, start looking there. Aftermarket stereo system, remote starter, etc.

I know of a few people who had remote starters installed in their car. Everything worked fine for a while, but soon all kinds of weird stuff started happening. Turns out the installer at Best Buy did a hack job on the wiring.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:36 AM

It all started after the fan started not working on one and two, but the problem with it not staring more frequently began after the resistor was changed. We did have trouble getting it plugged in all the way. We have not had anything electrical or after market installed. Do have hand controls, as I am in a wc, but those have been in the car since the end of 2007. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM

The blower motor resistor has nothing to do with it not starting.