Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

78 Monte Carlo will not start, not sure whats going on

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Pull the spark plugs, disconnect the distributor lead and crank the engine several times to help purge any fuel from the cylinders. Squirt about a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder (a straw works well for this), crank the engine a couple times, replace the plugs and reconnect the distributor lead. With a fully charged battery try to start the car - BUT - do not pump the pedal. Lightly depress it an inch or two, then let up on it. This will set the choke, the high idle and should provide adequate fuel for starting.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dr051976
Not typically? When it's in a good mood, it just starts right up, without having to press the gas pedal, when it's not I pump the gas and it floods when I try to start it.

Its so frustrating because I can go months with no issues, then all of a sudden it doesnt want to start. This last go around of nonsense is when I changed the fuel pump, and it started after that with no issues for a few days, then decided it was done and now wont start at all.

Mike
I only referred to resetting the idle mixture screws due to the intial startup and then stahling out... Since she had mentioned it ran fine before this all started...I figured ...turning the idle up or down was a non issue vs how much fuel it was or wasn't getting after startup during idle... Considering its a 1 year old rebuilt carb also not knowing the condition of the needle and seat on the primary side during the rebuild(thanks for the input)

My moneys on either a plugged fuel line(filter) or possibly the fuel pump
picked up some sediment from the gas tank... thus damaging the diaphragm in the fuel pump...

I'm hoping its going to turnout to be not enough gas in the tank. But I fear its going to be something unexpected. like a bent/damaged fuel pump rod...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:10 PM

No gas coming out of the fuel line to the carb, not even a drop. Replacing fuel pump as we speak, question is, even if this works, then what? If the tank is full of crap and funk, isnt the only option to get that replaced, its probably as old as the dang car.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:39 PM

5 Year Member

No gas coming out of the fuel line to the carb, not even a drop. Replacing fuel pump as we speak, question is, even if this works, then what? If the tank is full of crap and funk, isnt the only option to get that replaced, its probably as old as the dang car.
You may end up having to drop the gas tank...and flush it out... along with the lines or once you flush the gas tank out.... be sure to change the inline filter a few times to catch the residual sediment that may still be in the lines...

Keep us posted !
I hope this solves your problem. I will be looking for your response...
Good Luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 07:52 PM

New fuel pump, no difference. Took off the line that leads from the pump to the tank, used my compressor to blow out the line, air eventually went all the way back, I could feel it and see it, hooked everything back up, still wont start! WTF?!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:00 PM

So, air travels all the way from the gas line at the pump through the line to the gas tank, air travels from the brass line at the carb out to the end of the line that would attach at the pump, if there is no blockage then WTF? Why isnt gas getting to the carb?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:55 PM

5 Year Member

When you instahled the pump..
did the pump rod (in the block) move up and down freely that moves the finger on the pump ? (the finger is the lever pertrudeing out of the back of the fuel pump)

That pump rod needs to be up in the block as you slip the finger under it.... Before....you tighten the bolts... That finger is operated off the pump rod... In order to get that pump rod to stay up as you quickly try to put the finger under it.... You can try applying a little grease on it...that should give it enough resistance to stay in the "up" position long enuff to get the finger under the pump rod.... before it drops and prevents you from instahling it properly.

If that pump rod....does not move "freely" up and down....Its bent.....
Replaceing that rod could be a nightmare...

A quick easy solution... (if the pump rod is damaged) would be to go to a
electric fuel pump.

Im curious...
is there gas flowing from the tank to the fuel pump ? Maybe the fuel line that goes into the tank is plugged...???

Try disconnecting the fuel line that comes to the pump from the gas tank..
and use air pressure to clear the line.... you will hear gurgleing in the tank when its clear.... and gas should flow freely to the pump.... (so be careful)
and use a drip pan to catch the gas in....should it start to flow... then plug it off til you ready to reconnect it to the fuel pump.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-20-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
When you instahled the pump..
did the pump rod (in the block) move up and down freely that moves the finger on the pump ? (the finger is the lever pertrudeing out of the back of the fuel pump)

That pump rod needs to be up in the block as you slip the finger under it.... Before....you tighten the bolts... That finger is operated off the pump rod... In order to get that pump rod to stay up as you quickly try to put the finger under it.... You can try applying a little grease on it...that should give it enough resistance to stay in the "up" position long enuff to get the finger under the pump rod.... before it drops and prevents you from instahling it properly.

If that pump rod....does not move "freely" up and down....Its bent.....
Replaceing that rod could be a nightmare...

A quick easy solution... (if the pump rod is damaged) would be to go to a
electric fuel pump.

Im curious...
is there gas flowing from the tank to the fuel pump ? Maybe the fuel line that goes into the tank is plugged...???

Try disconnecting the fuel line that comes to the pump from the gas tank..
and use air pressure to clear the line.... you will hear gurgleing in the tank when its clear.... and gas should flow freely to the pump.... (so be careful)
and use a drip pan to catch the gas in....should it start to flow... then plug it off til you ready to reconnect it to the fuel pump.
All the lines are clear, I ran air through everything, they are all clear.

After removing the fuel pump and re-installing, it still didnt want to start, but after a lot of cranking and eventually putting some gas in the carb, it started and sounds really awesome! I dont know if the gas in the carb actualy helped, or if it was just so dry that it took a minute to get the gas flowing again.

Is it possible that when I put the new fuel pump in the first time (a few days ago) that the rod was just barely making contact and eventually stopped making contact? When re-installing it, I made sure that sucker was up in there real good.

The rod is straight and loose (insert joke there) it falls out when you take out the fuel pump, it IS supposed to come out completely right?

Thanks for all your help, you have been awesome! I just hope it starts in the morning, lol.

I took video of it running, but I guess theres no way to upload it here?

Last edited by dr051976; 09-20-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:06 AM

5 Year Member

All the lines are clear, I ran air through everything, they are all clear.

After removing the fuel pump and re-installing, it still didnt want to start, but after a lot of cranking and eventually putting some gas in the carb, it started and sounds really awesome! I dont know if the gas in the carb actualy helped, or if it was just so dry that it took a minute to get the gas flowing again.

Is it possible that when I put the new fuel pump in the first time (a few days ago) that the rod was just barely making contact and eventually stopped making contact? When re-installing it, I made sure that sucker was up in there real good.

The rod is straight and loose (insert joke there) it falls out when you take out the fuel pump, it IS supposed to come out completely right?

Thanks for all your help, you have been awesome! I just hope it starts in the morning, lol.

I took video of it running, but I guess theres no way to upload it here?
You can upload a video using you tube.
I would be very curious to see and hear it running!...
Your very welcome for the help! That's why were here!
If you run across any issues in the Morning... pls let me know and I will do my best to help you get it figured out...

Time to call it a night as I am attending a Meet and Greet tomorrow..
But I will definitely check the forum through out the day.. on my phone...
Congrats again on getting it back up and running!
Pls feel free to also post some pics of it in your profile...
Thanks for being a part of the MCF Family!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-21-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:36 AM

Started right up this morning, no cranking over and over, no hesitation!

Quick Reply: 78 Monte Carlo will not start, not sure whats going on