Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

78 Monte Carlo will not start, not sure whats going on

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dr051976
One more question, on the EGR - the hose should run to the EGR TVS, correct? Wait, is that right? Brain stalling, much like car...
Heres a Diagram to clear up any confusion

Old 09-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Heres a Diagram to clear up any confusion

Thanks! I will let you know how this whole thing plays out!

Old 09-19-2013, 01:07 PM

5 Year Member

Yvw!

Good Luck! Hope it all works out and starts and runs for you!!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:56 PM

So, tried messing with the carb, replaced a few vaccuum lines, still wont start.
Sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it started and died.
Think its possible I got a bad "new" gas pump?
Really confused here, after replacing the gas pump it started up first time everytime and then today it just will not start. Blocked fuel line? Carb was replaced this time last year. SO irritated right now.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 AM

5 Year Member

So, tried messing with the carb, replaced a few vaccuum lines, still wont start.
Sprayed some starter fluid in the carb and it started and died.
Think its possible I got a bad "new" gas pump?
Really confused here, after replacing the gas pump it started up first time everytime and then today it just will not start. Blocked fuel line? Carb was replaced this time last year. SO irritated right now.
Has the inline fuel filter been replaced recently?
Were you able to reset the choke? Does it operate with an electronically controlled or by a heat sink? or by vacuum dashpot?

Try turning the idle air mixture screws out 1 full turn each. if it doesn't start try turning them 1 1/2 turns out (counter clockwise)...or to the maximum of 1 3/4 turns...(It maynot be getting enough gas if there not open enough to allow gas to flow thru the carb)

If I understand correctly... Its no longer flooding out?

Which means were heading in the right direction. I'm curious, When you pump the gas... do you see gas pumping into the carb? have you tried pouring gas in the carb....to check if it will start ... instead of using starting fluid?

The replacement carb...was it new or used? We can check the fuel pump simply by disconnecting the gas line at the carb... then turn the key to see if you get a solid stream of gas out of it... If, there is a strong stream of gas comeing out of the fuel line... Then the pumps not the problem...
Where the fuel line connects to the carb... theres a large nut that it screws into(fuel line) ... Behind that nut is a fuel filter..It could be plugged causeing fuel to not enter the carbureator..( you could remove it temporarily and rehook up the fuel line...to see if it starts and runs...

I hope...
I'm not overwhelming you with all this information...
I will check back tomorrow to see what progress you have made.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-20-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Has the inline fuel filter been replaced recently?
Were you able to reset the choke? Does it operate with an electronically controlled or by a heat sink? or by vacuum dashpot?

Try turning the idle air mixture screws out 1 full turn each. if it doesn't start try turning them 1 1/2 turns out (counter clockwise)...or to the maximum of 1 3/4 turns...(It maynot be getting enough gas if there not open enough to allow gas to flow thru the carb)

If I understand correctly... Its no longer flooding out?

Which means were heading in the right direction. I'm curious, When you pump the gas... do you see gas pumping into the carb? have you tried pouring gas in the carb....to check if it will start ... instead of using starting fluid?

The replacement carb...was it new or used? We can check the fuel pump simply by disconnecting the gas line at the carb... then turn the key to see if you get a solid stream of gas out of it... If, there is a strong stream of gas comeing out of the fuel line... Then the pumps not the problem...
Where the fuel line connects to the carb... theres a large nut that it screws into(fuel line) ... Behind that nut is a fuel filter..It could be plugged causeing fuel to not enter the carbureator..( you could remove it temporarily and rehook up the fuel line...to see if it starts and runs...

I hope...
I'm not overwhelming you with all this information...
I will check back tomorrow to see what progress you have made.
Is there a fuel filter aside from the one right by the carb? An additional inline fuel filter? The one by the carb was changed very recently and I checked it last night, there was gas around it, but it was clean.

The carb was rebuilt and shiny and pretty when I installed it.

I'm gonna mess around more with the carb tonight.

I am just really confused as to how replacing the fuel pump helped make it start right away, and then just all of a sudden its dead again.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:27 AM

5 Year Member

Is there a fuel filter aside from the one right by the carb? An additional inline fuel filter? The one by the carb was changed very recently and I checked it last night, there was gas around it, but it was clean.

The carb was rebuilt and shiny and pretty when I installed it.

I'm gonna mess around more with the carb tonight.

I am just really confused as to how replacing the fuel pump helped make it start right away, and then just all of a sudden its dead again.
This may sound like a dumb question:
How much gas is in the tank? Maybe you have a faulty gas gauge?

But im curious if when you pump the gas pedal...If theres any gas getting into the carb...
How long did the car sit...before you started to drive it again? or is it your daily driver....
There is a brass fuel filter in the carb inlet(that the fuel line connects to..) its a "factory" filter.
Maybe it picked up some crud out of the gas tank and clogged the fuel system/punctured the diaphragm in the pump.....

Once you disconnect the fuel line from the carb... and turn the key to check for gas flow....(only turn it over enuff to check for flow) bumping the key is usually enough.. this test is crucial to determine if.. the pump is still working.

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-20-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:58 AM

This may sound like a dumb question:
How much gas is in the tank? Maybe you have a faulty gas gauge?

But im curious if when you pump the gas pedal...If theres any gas getting into the carb...
How long did the car sit...before you started to drive it again? or is it your daily driver....
There is a brass fuel filter in the carb inlet(that the fuel line connects to..) its a "factory" filter.
Maybe it picked up some crud out of the gas tank and clogged the fuel system/punctured the diaphragm in the pump.....

Once you disconnect the fuel line from the carb... and turn the key to check for gas flow....(only turn it over enuff to check for flow) bumping the key is usually enough.. this test is crucial to determine if.. the pump is still working.
I have never had a problem with the gas gauge, but in the name of starting with the simple and working up to the complicated, I am going to fill up my 3 gas cans and fill the tank. When I get home I will disconnect the gas line and see if gas is flowing, because if I can just replace the fuel pump (again) then its a win for me. I am also wondering if maybe there is just a bunch of crap clogging the line. One of the guys here suggested using an air compressor to clear the lines, I dont know if that's a bright idea? The car ran perfectly on Tuesday, I didnt run it Wednesday and then when I tried to leave for work on Thursday it wouldnt start.

Last edited by dr051976; 09-20-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is not the original motor, it was replaced when I bought it 6 years ago. It has a 305 in it.

Basically, I turn the key, it starts and then sputters off, and then because it's flooded it wont start at all.

I am wondering if the fuel mixture is just not right. It doesnt always do this, sometimes it runs great for weeks, starts the first time and runs amazing, then days like today I go to start it and it wont turn over, then I flood it because I'm annoyed, and so on...

The battery is brand new, doesnt go low overnight.
The alternator is new as well.
Fuel pump is new.
Carb is newish.
If the problem is intermittent it has nothing to do with the fuel mixture adjustment. The adjustment screws are used for the idle circuit. It is a 'fixed' adjustment (meaning once adjusted it doesn't vary). DO NOT adjust the idle mixture screws. You will just compound your problem.

Question - Does the engine flood if you turn it over WITHOUT pressing the gas pedal?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
If the problem is intermittent it has nothing to do with the fuel mixture adjustment. The adjustment screws are used for the idle circuit. It is a 'fixed' adjustment (meaning once adjusted it doesn't vary). DO NOT adjust the idle mixture screws. You will just compound your problem.

Question - Does the engine flood if you turn it over WITHOUT pressing the gas pedal?

Not typically? When it's in a good mood, it just starts right up, without having to press the gas pedal, when it's not I pump the gas and it floods when I try to start it.

Its so frustrating because I can go months with no issues, then all of a sudden it doesnt want to start. This last go around of nonsense is when I changed the fuel pump, and it started after that with no issues for a few days, then decided it was done and now wont start at all.

Quick Reply: 78 Monte Carlo will not start, not sure whats going on