Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th gen axle squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Will do Maniac, thanks, I'll check them out sometime tonight. I'll probably get to them next Friday or Saturday. What I'll do too is take some videos of the squeaking in action next time I get it off the ground so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I'll post youtube videos of it. I'm actually headed up to Sugarloaf mountain in NH/ME boarder for some snowboarding action before the season is over. I have to say that this last winter did a real number on my car. Including the heater core, e-break, starter, and brake lines. God I hate New England winters.

Ciao,
Johnnie

Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've been to Sugarloaf and Bear Claw, loved them both! Have a Great time!

Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks JC, roger that!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM
Thumbs up

Hi gang,
Just wanna give you guys a heads up. I made a couple online purchases the other day. Thanks to Maniac, I bought these HD axles from Rockauto.com (Thanks Maniac).Hopefully they come next Thursday night so I can do this job next Friday morning. Here's what I ordered..
CARDONE SELECT 661255HD (66-1255HD) CV Half Shaft Assembly $ 61.79 $ 0.00 1 $ 61.79
CARDONE SELECT 661250HD (66-1250HD) CV Half Shaft Assembly $ 60.99 $ 0.00 1 $ 60.99
Shipping Ground $ 24.54
Order Total $ 147.32

Also I bought the following...
ACDelco FW304 GM Original Equipment Front Wheel Hub and Bearing Assembly with Wheel Stud (No ABS) (I can return if I don't need it)
Lisle 56750 Seal Puller
Great Neck OEM 25152 1/2-Inch Drive 33mm Axle Nut Socket.

Cheers!
Johnnie

Old 03-22-2015, 04:38 AM

Hi Guys, great advice, I believe the grease for these axles is special and the time to get them apart and back together makes replacement of entire unit the best option. thanks for the heads up on RockAuto.com. I just checked on parts for my 72 and the price was great. hope your squeal get fixed Johnnie, I know those sounds make me nuts when I am driving.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Thumbs down Update

Hi gang,
Here's an update...
I have some good news and some bad news..

First the good news..
I think I was able to rectify my squeak issue.. but only on one side. It may very well have been the axle seal like I previously though but I may never know only because I replaced a whole slew of hardware... practically everything. The job took me two days in the snow and rain (which sucked hard btw)

What I ended up doing (because the job was a huge PITA) was replacing the following:

+Axle Seal (my original assumption because the squeak was coming from inside there)
+CV axle ( to be honest, the original CV Axle looked to be pretty good but I didn't feel like putting an old one back in because I didn't want to risk it, just in case.. I didn't open it up so I don't care)
+Whole control arm (because the ball joint spun as I screwed the nut back on so it was no good and it was seized onto the control arm. It was literally easier to replace the whole arm instead of just the ball joint)
+Tie Rod end (because the original tie rod was spinning when I went to put the nut back on as well.
+Whole spindle (thanks to the ridiculously bad tie rod, I snapped the spindle and had to find a salvage yard to get a replacement.
+Wheel Hub (just because...)

And now the bad news.
After working in the cold Massachusetts rain and snow all day Friday and Saturday. My buddy invited me to a game of darts at a local establishment. As I was driving through a green light, a woman coming in the opposite direction decided to make a hard left into a liquor store, which resulted in her cutting me off. She wasn't fast enough and as I slammed on my brakes, the wet from the road dragged my car resulting in my slamming my front passenger side into the b****'s passenger rear quarter panel. Resulting in a devastating loss for me. Luckily nothing went wrong in the engine compartment, but I'm sure my insurance company is going to mark this as a "totaled".

So for your entertainment (or disdain) please see the pictures of my hard work and then the result of American Idiocracy. Oh! The best part about the whole thing is that she decided to hop back in her car and screw off, leaving the scene of the accident when I told her I had to call the police and file a police report.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0057.jpg (89.3 KB, 11 views)
IMAG0061.jpg (98.8 KB, 14 views)
IMAG0065.jpg (98.9 KB, 10 views)
IMAG0049.jpg (101.2 KB, 13 views)
IMAG0048.jpg (101.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 PM
Cool This was the axle seal

This was the original axle seal. It looked only "ok" not perfect. So I replaced it. This is the front drivers side axle seal.

Attached Images
IMAG0040.jpg (99.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

wow sorry to hear about your luck. Nothing worse than putting that much time and energy into something and have someone else take it away.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:47 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Dude, I am sorry to hear what happened
The damage from the accident appears that it should be fix-able, but depending on mileage and such, hard to say what insurance will do.
Did the cops catch your hit-n-run lady? In my state that's a big issue, you leave the scene of an accident and you're in some serious trouble. She was probably drunk at the time to boot.

Thanks for the update (be it a sad ending). I wish you the best and hope that insurance does not total your Monte and can make you whole again.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2015
1 Year Member

That sucks so bad. I hate to hear that. I hope you can get er fixed it looks to be all cosmetic. I hope they find that lady too did you get her tag #?

Quick Reply: 6th gen axle squeal