Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:20 AM

Do you have a friend that would let you do at their place ? The job is pretty easy and you only need a few tools a 10mm a 13mm a pliers and a screwdriver. As for a repair shop , does the salvage yard where you bought the assembly offer parts installation ? Ones in my area do which would save you some. As for a different shop doing it , just expect them to charge you more for labor and offer no warranty . Book time can be looked up so you can know the labor time.I wish I had a cheaper solution for you, but I would go with the first option and find a friend and borrow the tools. Like yourself when I was young I couldn't afford a repair shop so I had to learn and do it myself. Good luck and if you need pointers how to do the job a lot of people here are willing to help.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Jeff .

Old 08-03-2018, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Do you have a friend that would let you do at their place ? The job is pretty easy and you only need a few tools a 10mm a 13mm a pliers and a screwdriver. As for a repair shop , does the salvage yard where you bought the assembly offer parts installation ? Ones in my area do which would save you some. As for a different shop doing it , just expect them to charge you more for labor and offer no warranty . Book time can be looked up so you can know the labor time.I wish I had a cheaper solution for you, but I would go with the first option and find a friend and borrow the tools. Like yourself when I was young I couldn't afford a repair shop so I had to learn and do it myself. Good luck and if you need pointers how to do the job a lot of people here are willing to help.

well this was a disaster . tried it at a friends house and I had to leave it near his house because nothing worked and antifreeze everywhere after watching this video .It's the only video I could find

I ordered a four seasons fan and nothing was right after I finally got the old one out , (should of ordered the TYC I think) The video for a 2003 SS is Not how my 2000 SS is , so right now I could not get the new fan in and the engine strut mounts I can not put back on either . There is no way to pull them back , at least I can't , So I can't get the air cleaner system to attach too. How far can I drive it like this to get to a repair shop ? My battery red cable had to be removed and the whole system should of been drained of anti-freeze and all hoses removed . There all in the way . Not sure why they would post a video like that , it was not at all accurate . what a nightmare ! Fingers all cut up I should have had done at a shop .

Old 08-03-2018, 06:56 PM

So I watched the video , t's a 3100/3400 engine but has the same set up as your 3800. As for driving without connecting the engine mounts, Do Not drive you'll do more damage than good. The engine moved backward and is nothing un-common To get the part's back on you will make the engine rock forward I would imagine. You can either put a pry bar behind either engine mount and pull the engine forward towards you or you and rock the car and block the tire to hold it while you reinstall the engine mount.Good luck

Old 08-04-2018, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks , I'll give it a try Monday , Of course it's back to the 90's this weekend .

The tail on the car threw me off and I was certain is an SS and a 3800 ,anyway my engine mounts are different and needed a lot of moving around to pullback , and the fan did not slide out like in the video , Took me about a 1/2 hour to get it out after the bolts were removed . My fans have heat shields behind both fans . If I can find the right fan to fit do I need the heat shields ? I have a giant screwdriver if that does not work I'll go get a pry bar and hope I can pull the engine back .

Old 08-04-2018, 06:45 AM

Screws with yellow marksHere's a picture of the heat shield , they are held on by screws with yellow marks. Transfer them to the new fans , they are there to protect from heat off the exhaust manifold. In between the two engine mounts is a bracket with a hole in it for pulling the engine. Put your big screwdriver in the hole for leverage and pull to get the mounts back in , a tire lug wrench will work much better .Good luck

Old 08-04-2018, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member

Screws with yellow marksHere's a picture of the heat shield , they are held on by screws with yellow marks. Transfer them to the new fans , they are there to protect from heat off the exhaust manifold. In between the two engine mounts is a bracket with a hole in it for pulling the engine. Put your big screwdriver in the hole for leverage and pull to get the mounts back in , a tire lug wrench will work much better .Good luck
Thanks for everything .

Old 08-04-2018, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member

The condenser looks all clogged up with bugs and stuff and rusted, They should have replaced it when the new radiator was put in . Now that I do have access to all this how hard is it to add the condenser ? or does this not matter unless I did the compressor as well ? The system is all charged up and working well for now do I just leave it alone ? The temperature gauge does run hotter then it did before this project but is working good , I do not want to add to more things to worry about at the moment . I do know when the compressor goes that is something that I cannot do on my own .

I did mess up a few fins on the radiator trying to get the old out and the new in .

I should have the TYC fans tomorrow from amazon so I can compare them to the four seasons and see if that was the wrong part . The car came with a Siemens made in Canada assembly from looking at the 18 year old part . I hope the TYC part looks more like it .
Rock Auto has a VDO for only $75 , Vdo is really good and suppose to make parts for all the major auto makers but with rock auto if I get the wrong part it's not as easy to return , and you lose the shipping too . Autozone is selling these fans for almost $200 , So a repair shop will probably charge $250 just for the part , I hope I can do this on my own .

Old 08-04-2018, 04:00 PM

The condenser can be cleaned with a garden hose , spray from the engine side out to the front too remove most of the debris. You normally don't change a condenser because the radiator is out, that requires a new AC charge, a few bent fins is no big deal . Your going to get it by yourself it just might take a little longer , just make sure to thank your friend for letting to use his place.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

The condenser can be cleaned with a garden hose , spray from the engine side out to the front too remove most of the debris. You normally don't change a condenser because the radiator is out, that requires a new AC charge, a few bent fins is no big deal . Your going to get it by yourself it just might take a little longer , just make sure to thank your friend for letting to use his place.
Good to know , I will do that . oh yeah for sure , I cleaned up his drive way so no stains set in . Should I drain the antifreeze completely when I try this next ?

Is there a good cordless device to try that would do the job ? I have seen a couple Milwaukee or Ac Delco I just don't know what size , a lot of them don't even include a battery or bits .

getting into these tight places and trying to tighten or loosen the bolts are where mostly my fingers are getting cut up . maybe a cordless ratchet or something would work .

Quick Reply: 3.8 Screeching engine after intake manifold /coolent repair