Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2006 Monte Carlo SS Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Angry 2006 Monte Carlo SS Engine Light

Hi everyone! I hope I'm posting this in the correct category, so please forgive me if this isn't the correct place.

I'm sure this issue has been addressed previously, but I'm at work right now and I don't really have to to search.

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS with approximately 54,000 miles. For the past month or so, my engine light has been randomly coming on and off (not flashing, though). When I first noticed it, I tightened the gas cap and it went out, but came back on a few hours later.

The light would go out whenever I filled the tank, but like before, would come back on a few hours later.

The car is running fine and the fuel economy hasn't decreased. In fact, it's been increasing (not much, but increasing none-the-less).

I had been using the 87 octane gas (just to save a few bucks), but the last few fill-ups, I've used 93 octane. I also used an STP fuel system cleaner last week, but for the past week or so, the light has been on constantly.

From what I've read online and whatnot, this seems to be a fairly common issue with GM vehicles? If anyone has any ideas on what the problem might be or suggestions on how to fix it, it would be much appreciated! I'm a little leery of the local Chevy dealer and I don't wanna take the car in without at least some clue of what the problem might be.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Please don't use regular fuel in your SS. You bought the performance car with the V8, you gotta sacrifice. What do you save, $3 a fill-up? Just don't get that cup of coffee this week.

When you put in the lesser quality fuel, your car is going to be running a different fuel parameter and you will lose out on a lot of the power, etc.

Don't worry about buying Fuel System Cleaner.

I don't know where you live, but do you have an auto parts store that will read OBDII codes for free? I know around me, Advance Auto will go out and read the code for you. Then you will have more of an idea what is wrong.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Have you checked the seal on your gas cap? Its sounds like messing with the gas cap made it go out before. Its possible that the gasket on your gas cap is cracked enough that maybe the car is seeing it as not sealing correctly....Its a shot in the dark, but worth looking into.

And I agree, your car should be run on premium, so don't skimp on that.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM

Yes, run premium, its not much more. Advance Auto, or AutoZone will check your code for free, take it to them and they will tell you what the code thats being thrown is. A few weeks ago, my light came on, went to AutoZone and had them run the code, and it was my Brake Booster/Vacuum line. I just opened the hood and made sure all my vacuum lines were properly connected, and it went back off. Get the code checked, its free.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

What they all said! lol