Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Check engine light on a 2006 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Default Check engine light on a 2006 Monte Carlo

I have a 2006 Monte Carlo Lt with the 3.5L and about a week ago, the check engine light came on and it the code it threw out was the large emissions leak code, p0146 I think. I had advance auto reset it and it came back again and this time, the DIC said tighten gas cap. So, took the gas cap off, and put it back on clicking it 4 times. No change. So I bought a new gas cap, but the message still persists with the same large emissions leak check engine code. There is also a slight whistle noise coming from the driver side of the engine bay that can be heard when under 10mph or parked. Any ideas as to what this could be? It doesn't idle rough, and gets great fuel economy, way better than the epa ratings.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM

i had a simular problem with the gas cap the dealer ended replacing the filler neck on mine. the wissling effect could be a loose house or a copling is loose not sure. i have a wissle do to a cai and it is a good sound to me. but if yours is stock and if you still have a warrenty and know a shop that honors warrentys on cars. go there or the dealler and say fix it if the deallers say thay cant find the problem tell them on a bluff on calling gm corperet only then the dealler will fix any thing on a gm car.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:22 AM

Sorry, the code is p0455. Thanks for the tip monte07.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Took it to the dealer today and they smoked it, couldn't find any leaks, cleared the code, which they said was "stored" and then they drove it and couldn't make the engine light or tighten gas cap come back. They told me that the original gas cap must have gone bad and then when I replaced it with an aftermarket Stant gas cap, it didn't like that gas cap and kept throwing out the same code, so I may be returning that gas cap and getting the GM replacement. I was a little upset though because they neglected to tell me that they drove it over 100 miles and left me with less than 1/8th of a tank of gas! Oh well, at least it is fixed.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

100 miles! Holy crap...thats a test drive.

Glad it was something simple though!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:50 PM

Yeah, I was kinda upset about that. Next time I take it there, I will have a little chat with those people about how many miles they put on my vehicle, ;-) On a lighter note, got my new GM replacement gas cap today, and had a chat with the guys at the parts counter/service center and I got a print out of the evap system and the two solenoids that go bad on the MC/Impala. They said that they replaced this one on 39 different vehicles. They gave me prices on both and have both in stock; the cheapest one, which most often goes bad, was only ~$35 and the other was ~$85. I'll keep updating this on whether the gas cap fixed it or if I have to replace one of those two solenoids.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

not sure how different the 06 3.9 is but keep us updated, please, thanks

Old 11-14-2009, 10:45 PM

Well, my check engine light and the tighten gas cap notification came back yesterday, so I will have to go to the dealership and talk to them about which solenoid I need to buy.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Parents had this issue on their 06 SS, actually turned out to be something wrong with the computer and was warrantied (past the original warranty since it dealt with emissions)

Old 11-16-2009, 06:21 PM

The guys at the gm dealership said that the problem is most likely with the solenoid/charcoal canister that is behind the drivers side quarter panel. They said that the sometimes the solenoid can get "gummed up" and stop cycling when it gets the signal from the computer. The part was only $35, so I figured that I would give this a try since they said it was a common problem with the 06's. It was very easy to install also, only one bolt holds the bracket on to the car and then the solenoid slides off easily. Plus, it is easier to unhook the hose when it is down and out in the open. The install only took 10mins because I thought the bolt was american after a 10mm socket didn't fit. Then I realized that it was just corroded a little and then the 10mm fit right on. I opened up the old one and found that the lid to the charcoal filter was cracked and it had dirt inside of it, but the hose coming into the solenoid was clean, so I just hooked up the new one and off I went. Hopefully this will solve it now.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on a 2006 Monte Carlo