Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2004 wiper problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 AM
Default 2004 wiper problems

I have a 2004 and I have had it for over a year. A few months ago the wipers would work sometimes and sometimes they wouldn't. Then they stopped working all together. I have exhausted all of my knowledge on electrical things. So far I have replaced the multifunction switch and the wiper motor. I already checked the fuse and made sure power was getting to the fuse panel. However, power is not getting to the motor. Someone please help.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 AM

Man it sounds like it is time to start checking plugs, terminals and wires.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Claytn95
I have a 2004 and I have had it for over a year. A few months ago the wipers would work sometimes and sometimes they wouldn't. Then they stopped working all together. I have exhausted all of my knowledge on electrical things. So far I have replaced the multifunction switch and the wiper motor. I already checked the fuse and made sure power was getting to the fuse panel. However, power is not getting to the motor. Someone please help.
Disconnect battery before proceeding.

Disconnect the wiper motor from the linkage and check it (the linkage) for dry or binding pivot points. If it hangs up anywhere throughout the wipe cycle clean all pivot points and apply fresh grease. Operate the wipers again a few times to spread the grease and insure the linkage now operates freely. If it does - problem solved.

Even though you have checked the fuse, remove it again and check the receptacle for oxidation. Slide a small emery board or cloth in and out of the receptacle for the fuse a few times to clean it, then give it a quick shot of electronics cleaner to remove any debris. Clean the legs of the fuse the same way. A thin coat of something like Ox-Guard will help to slow the oxidation process.

Reinstall the motor and check for proper operation. If they are still erratic check for oxidized contacts on the wiper connector. Clean as needed. Also check your ground wires. Literally remove the cable and clean the contact points between the cable and frame/body. This is another good spot to use the Ox-Guard.

If that doesn't fix it then the motor will need to be replaced.