Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2004 Monte:Lights don't always turn off when using remote

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Smile 2004 Monte:Lights don't always turn off when using remote

Hi

I have a 2004 Monte SS with 52,000 miles on it. Purchased last year, clean car, runs well. Only one issue i am having intermittently. When car is turned off and you exit the car and press the LOCK button on the remote key fob, the exterior lights will not turn off. This has happened several times. I opened the door and turned the ignition key and start the car, then turn off and try again ,but still same problem. Last night after doing the above ,i decided to manually press the electric door lock toggle switch to open and lock position, and then all exterior lights turned off.

As i said this is an intermittent issue, but it is a pain in the butt since the car is equipped with automatic headlights.

Each time i exit the car and use the remote to lock the doors i always check to see if the headlamps are turned off. I am not made of money and don't want to replace car batteries because of this issue.

I am aware of the theatre lighting function on the vehicle, and that does work, but if i press the button on the remote AFTER the lights fade out [in order to lock the doors], the exterior lights sometimes will flash and stay on, instead of just flashing once and shut off. I lost a battery because of it. I am wondering what component[s] is responsible for that function and how i may be able to troubleshoot the problem.

Has anyone experienced this with their Monte before and if so how did you resolve it.

Thanking You

Last edited by BigEd; 07-02-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:35 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your Monte has a feature called 'Theater Lighting'. When you close the door the interior lights stay on for X amount of time then fade out. If it is dusk or dark outside your headlights will remain on for X amount of time after you turn the car off then turn off. These are both features of your car and perfectly normal.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:21 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

OK today i read through the Owners Manual. In section 2-42 page for "Vehicle Personalization", theres an option for the LT DELAY { Delayed Headlamp Illumination}

This feature allows the vehicle's headlamps and parking lamps to stay on for a fixed amount of time after you exit the vehicle, or for them to turn off immediately.

can be set to 3 possible settings. Mode 1 OFF. Mode 2 30seconds delay , Mode 3 60seconds delay.

But before you can do that, you need to enter the Programming Mode , through the radio , so i attempted to follow the instructions as follows:

To reset or customize the features, first enter the vehicle customization main menu. To enter the main menu do the following:

Step 1 Turn Ignition to ACC or ON position, radio must be off.

Step 2 Press and hold the TUNE/DISPLAY **** for at least five seconds until SETTINGS is displayed.

** I tried that and it doesn't respond. Any ideas on whats up with that and what has to be done so i get into the programming mode? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks .

Last edited by BigEd; 07-04-2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: New question related to theatre lighting