Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2003 fans not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Default 2003 fans not working

My fans are not coming on.I replaced the coolant sensor and the thermostat.If I disconnect the wires to the sensor the fans will kick on and the temp guage falls to zero and they won't shut off.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like your fans are working fine if they kick on when the sensor is disconnected.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM

Well let me rephrase that,the fans are not coming on when the temps goes up until I disconnect the sensor. I believe the wiring is wrong. I can see where somebody cut the wires and I dont think it is wired correctly. I need pics of the wiring because I cant find one in the boneyard but I know the wires should be black and yellow

Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 PM

The fans will come on when the temp gets high enough. They come on at 212* I'm pretty sure. I just did my intake and had to refill the coolant and my fans came on after 15 mins of holding the rpm steady at 2000rpm. The gauge went to half way and a tiny bit and then came on.
If your car isn't overheating and the gauge is half way or less your car is working very normally.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Fans only kick on when your A/C is on, or the temperature gets too high for the thermostat. Like Justin said it's either 212 or 230, some manuals say different things.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I just dealt with a similiar problem on a '97 Grand Prix GT. I changed the intake gaskets and had to replace the temp sensor (I busted the original one, whoops).

Anycase, the car had a new temp sensor, new t-stat and ran FINE, but the temp guage would climb to 260 degrees in about 15 minutes (yet the car ran fine and I could touch different parts of the engine, they were not burning hot, just warm). During this time, the fans were not kicking on, but if I disconnected the temp sensor and they ran fine.

End result... Using a Snap On scanner, a friend of mine read the car computer. While the guage was pegged at 260 degrees, the temp sensor was telling the computer we were sitting at 163 (very acceptable). With the cold weather, the car was not getting any hotter idling. At this point, I need to replace the guage cluster (and have not had a chance to do that yet).

If you believe the car is running hot, see if you can find someone with access to a tool to read what temp the computer is receiving. It may be you have a faulty guage and the car is not getting to temp to trigger the fans.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Mine is getting hot while sitting.Driving is fine but if you let it sit the temp will climb all the way and you can hear the water boiling in the overflow and the fans still not coming on but as soon as I disconnect the sensor both fans kick on and the temp guage shoots to zero.Anybody got a pic of the wiring from the sensor to the harness. I am wondering if the 2 wires are connected properly since the previous owner was messing with them

Old 04-05-2011, 06:26 PM

2 wire or 3 wire? Should be 2 I think. I'll see what I can do about a diagram for ya but it should work either way if the temp gauge works. You might need to change the T-stat, feel the hose coming out of the stat that goes to the rad if it's hot to touch when it's gurgling the stat is opening or stuck open but if it's stuck open it should never overheat.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by catchk9
Mine is getting hot while sitting.Driving is fine but if you let it sit the temp will climb all the way and you can hear the water boiling in the overflow and the fans still not coming on but as soon as I disconnect the sensor both fans kick on and the temp guage shoots to zero.
OK, next thing to help out, are you running a 3800 or 3400?

You mention when you disconnect the sensor the guage shoots down, that shows the guage is no longer getting a reading since you disconnected the sensor and the fans kicking on shows the fans are working.

The fact you note the coolant "boiling" in the overflow, temp guage running high and fans not kicking on. That is a strange combo of things.

It's possible the coolant is not really boiling, but is under too much pressure. When it is overheating, slowly/carefully open the coolant bleeder valve. If you have a 3400, open the one on the black tube coming out of the water pump. If you have a 3800, open the one on the T-stat housing. The objective is to see if you have air/steam shooting out first. Once you get a stream of coolant flowing, close the valve, check your temp guage.

Report back and let us know the answers and finding of these results. We'll try and get you to a resolution.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Maniac,I appreciate that! I will do that tomorrow when I get home from work and let you guys know the results. thanks again

Quick Reply: 2003 fans not working