Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 Monte Carlo, turn key and nothing....

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 PM

I have the exact same problems with my 2001 Monte SS. I have already replaced the ignition switch with a new one and it didn't help. My car even started without even doing the pass-lock relearn procedure. I have been considering replacing the BCM as well, but, after a $90USD ignition switch, I do not want to buy any other parts until I am pretty sure I have located the faulty part.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Default Passlock/BCM garbage.

Wow. I'm really curious to see if the BCM is some how interconnected to the passlock and ignition system. I'm really get fed up with this car. Now for the 3rd day with a heat wave in Ontario..the airconditioner isn't working. I have a funny feeling that both the passlock and BCM are gone. If thats the case i'll be really angry. The only problem is I have to wait until august to get both checked out. I heard that bcm's can be pretty expensive too.

Originally Posted by revron
I have the exact same problems with my 2001 Monte SS. I have already replaced the ignition switch with a new one and it didn't help. My car even started without even doing the pass-lock relearn procedure. I have been considering replacing the BCM as well, but, after a $90USD ignition switch, I do not want to buy any other parts until I am pretty sure I have located the faulty part.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

During these times of issue on your instrument panel is the gear selected lit up? Like is the P for park highlighted? I had a loose pin in the tranny housing that used to cause this. I'd check out the plug on both the harness and tranny end just to make sure. I figured it out one day after resting my forehead on the steering wheel in frustration and saw the light wasn't illuminated. Traced it down and viola. Until I had the trans replaced whenever it would happen I would just wiggle that harness a little and it would start right up.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM

I have been experiencing a similar issue for almost a year now and have been unable to resolve it. Several years ago I had to replace the BCM because of the Security light issue and the vehicle not starting for 10 minutes. Everything was fine for a few years after that but then last year my vehicle started behaving in a similar way. I realized that if I held the ignition in the start position for approximately 30 - 40 seconds that it would finally start. I had been dealing with this for a while and whenever this happens (usually every few days or so) I'd just hold the key in the start position and it would turn over.

I had been told by the dealership that it was the BCM so I finally broke down and had it replaced (out of warranty, of course). I was informed by my private mechanic that I have to go to the dealership to have this part replaced because it requires reprogramming that only they can do. After spending almost $400 (parts, tax, and labor) the car still has the starting issue!

I have never replaced the ignition switch but don't know what to do because no one seems to have a clue. Any ideas? Has anyone else had a similar experience with having to hold the key for that long to get it to start? Is this a Passlock issue?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Default starting issues

I have found over the past few weeks this... If I use my clicker to lock the car, that is when I have a problem..as long as that clicker is NOT used it will start everytime.. use the clicker..viola starting issues AGAIN!!! so until I can get it to the right people I just won't lock her up!!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2010
1 Year Member

Had a similar problem on my 98 MC. It was the anti-theft module. Picked up a new one at the salvage yard for 5 bucks, problem solved.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dyonysis
When it won't start, leave it for 10 minutes to reset and it should fire up fine.
my 1999 Z34 did the exact same thing couple weeks ago.... I left it for 5-10 minutes, went back out and tried again and it worked. No idea what the heck it was, hasn't happened since so will cross my fingers....

Old 11-27-2010, 08:40 PM

I'm bumping this thread because I still haven't been able to solve my issue and I'm hoping someone else will be able to clue me in before I spend more money.

So far I've spent over $400 and haven't fixed it. I bought an after market BCM which turned out to be defective (but I held it too long so I couldn't return it...plus I lost the receipt). Then I bought a Delco BCM and had the dealership install it. Didn't solve a thing!

As it stands right now, every 10 or 15 starts I'll turn the key and NOTHING. I'll HOLD the key in the START position for about 45 seconds and it starts up...every time. This is a problem because I'm a volunteer EMT and sitting in the car waiting for it to start for up to a minute is not the greatest situation.

A local mechanic said he thinks it could be the ignition switch but wants to charge me $200 for the repair....which he can't guarantee will solve anything. Before I spend more money, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 11-28-2010, 12:13 AM

These newer electronic ignition cars bring with them a lot of problems that aren't easy to ID. Last year my 02 went stupid on me and wouldn't start, or would just act as if it would turn off while driving. I went to the dealer and, after a scan, it was determined that the ignition switch and the bcm were bad and needed replacement. It cost me $1,200 for the repair but it hasn't happened again. I believe if you're going to have the ignition replaced, your car will have to go through a relearning procedure. I may be wrong about that, but I'm sure one of the other fellas will chime in. Neway, good luck and I hope its nothing like my experience.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Default my problem starting problem is fixed

My 2000 monte carlo had the same atarting issues,,we took it to dealership and replaced a bad bcm,,still issues,,had a friend look over car and wired starter strait to ignition,,did not work,, replaced starter and she is AWESOME!!!!! starts everytime and not a problem since...it has been months..and I thank god it is doing right because I love my torch red monte carlo...

Quick Reply: 2000 Monte Carlo, turn key and nothing....