Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 2000 Monte Carlo ss problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 09:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Normal range for the MAF is 4-7 gm/sec. @ 750 rpm.
If my math is correct you're at 7.46....gm/sec.@1195, so that's probably within range considering the higher idle.

What is the reading with EGR plugged in?

What were the fuel trim values?

Last edited by plumbob; 11-21-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-21-2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by plumbob
What is the reading with EGR plugged in?

What were the fuel trim values?
With EGR, it read .9LB/min My scan tool doesnt display live data, or trim values.. I was able to get that .9 reading from the freeze frame info when i got a new code today, Bank 1 too lean... i think was it something like p0171. I figure that ugly downstream 02 sensor may be responsible..?

thinking at this point i might just break down and take it to get diagnosed, but id have to wait a paycheck, those darn garages like money apparently

Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 PM

Also noticed something strange today. If car is in park or stopped and in N, and i rev the engine, the RPMs refuse to exceed 4000. needle bounces and the engine starts surging and it shudders. If the car is moving, and i shift to N, it will rev all the way to 6000. Is this normal?

Old 11-22-2015, 10:07 AM
10 Year Member

Just checked this out on the '03 SS and confirmed it does the same, so this is normal.
Not sure why, must have something to do with fuel cut-out programming.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:30 PM

Just checked this out on the '03 SS and confirmed it does the same, so this is normal.
Well thats sweet relief, i was getting ready to drive the car off a cliff. haha, noo I already love this car, she has her issues.... but luckily her caretaker is patient

Bob, thaank you so much for all the advice and help! hopefully some folks can get some good info out of this thread, we've discussed everything from fuel to MAf readings and trouble shooting most of it.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MNmonteSS
With EGR, it read .9LB/min My scan tool doesnt display live data, or trim values.. I was able to get that .9 reading from the freeze frame info when i got a new code today, Bank 1 too lean... i think was it something like p0171. I figure that ugly downstream 02 sensor may be responsible..?

thinking at this point i might just break down and take it to get diagnosed, but id have to wait a paycheck, those darn garages like money apparently

For the money, this is a pretty decent little scanner that can interface with a smart phone or laptop and gives you live data including fuel trim.
Amazon.com: BAFX Products® - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products® - Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light & diagnostics - Android ONLY: Automotive

Old 12-03-2015, 12:11 AM

For the money, this is a pretty decent little scanner that can interface with a smart phone or laptop and gives you live data including fuel trim.
When i upgrade phones i march, i will invest in one of those little bluetooth interface OBD scanners as well. Very cool idea.

My ss has been stalling about everyother day as of lately, but yesterday my new delco MAF sensor arrived, the original was probably exactly that; the original. It was rather unpleasant looking as compared to the new one. Haven't had a stall since installation @ 3pm yesterday, but only time will tell!

Old 12-06-2015, 12:51 AM

Update time.

Grabbed a new PCV valve today, noticed mine was missing the lower o-ring. no stalling as of yet! While tryine to remove my downstream 02 sensor, the crowfoot o2 socket broke i'd have to order a one-piece flex head o2 wrench from amazon, i put a hole in the sensor when the socket snapped, I now have a constant CEL, but no stalling... that thing is horribly rusted on there might just have a shop break it free, i work too dang much haha

Last edited by MNmonteSS; 12-06-2015 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had good luck spraying a shot of pb blaster on o2 sensors to get them out. That's a must have for any garage imo

Old 12-18-2015, 12:14 AM

used a gallon of pb blaster, to no avail.

on a sad note, my engine seized yesterday. Was running fine, pulled in at gas station, noticed a tick from engine.. moments later the tick turned into a knock.... and shortly after that it stalled.. tried to start, and loud knock when engine turned over. quickly putted home, pulled in the driveway only to have her stall, and refuse to start again.

Sad thing is, haven't had the car more than 3 months. life is not fair sometimes, but now i get to look forward to the rebuild im going to do.