Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 Monte Carlo LS, shuts off while driving, overheats

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Question 2000 Monte Carlo LS, shuts off while driving, overheats

I have a 2000 chevy monte carlo...
The problems ive notice are:
-starting the car- i often have to rev the engine, pumping the gas 2-3 times and reving it up to 3000 RPMs to get it to stay on
-the car turns off while driving whether the ac is on or off amd its not overheating when turning off, it does this at scary times and i have to drop the car in neutral start it again and pop it into third gear cuz im often going vetween 30-45 when this happens
-last few days the car decided to overheat only when idling
-coolant seems to leak

So i asked around, read my user manual and every bit of info i could find. Ive come to the conclusion that i needed to start by replacing spark plugs, spark plug wires, coils and the fan fuse and fan fuse relays, also the air filter and some other random things like the water pump.
Problem is both radiator fans dont turn on. Its strange to me to think both would go out at the same time which leads me to believe its a sensor of some sort. I forget what its called but the one that regulates when the fans turn on based on temperature.
My question is, if that doesnt fix the problem then what else could it be?
Also i bought a pretty cool little tool, one of those scanners because supposedly autozone charges, me anyway, to check the codes so i just bought one because im sick of getting screwed over and figure the first step to learning about cars is with my own.
Well this nifty little tool had a lot to say.
Multiple cylinder misfires popped up three times, system too rich (bank1) popped up three times, cooling fan relay 1 control circuit popped up three times, torque converter clutch solenoid circuit stuck on popped up three times, egr pintle position popped up 3 times, and the generator control circuit popped up twice.
So with all the work ive already done im at a loss on where to go from here? Should i look into the exhaust? Change put that solenoid thats stuck on then retest?
Battery is at 12.03 volts and the alternator an belts are seemingly fine.
FML - :/:/ please advice someone??

Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM

I had the same problem after getting mines but I ended up replacing the oil filter to K&N and the gas filter to a better aftermarket filter. Then I acquired new lower intake manifold gaskets to replace the old wobbly nylon gaskets it comes with. I also replace the elbow pipes that run the coolant in to the engine with aluminum ones. After that it never turned off but I always run at 1.5+ rpms while driving to make sure the gas is running through efficiently. I realized when you start to drive slow it gives you problems but thus far it's all been good. Google, Monte Carlo lower intake manifold gasket felpro & you should find the aluminum elbow pipes I was talking about.