Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2 Things: AC and Front Tire Rods

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2 Things: AC and Front Tire Rods

Just want to run a couple of things by you all and get some opinions/confirm some things.

Finally having my AC checked out and got the issue figured out (or so we hope). I had a trusted friends father in law look at my car to figure out why my AC isn't blowing cold air.

Today he things he figured out the problem. He's telling me the evaporator has gone bad and is leaking anti-freeze in the engine bay, and this is why my compressor is kicking off and on not blowing cold air. He's telling me it'll be about an 8 hour job as he'll have to get into the dash to replace the part. I have noticed my anti-freeze getting low, and when my AC did work a couple years ago it had a strange smell. I'm assuming the part was getting worse and worse and has finally failed.

While he had the car lifted he noticed my front tire rods were loose and he suggests I change them out and will need an alignment. The car does pull a little to the right and isn't as smooth as it used to be. So I believe him as well on this.

He's going to charge me just a bit over $600 to have all this done, excluding the alignment.

To me this sounds like a fair price. What do you all think?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 PM

What? AC and antifreeze? These are 2 completely different systems and have not a damn thing to do with each other. Refrigerant flows through the evaporator core, coolant flows through the heater core, 2 different parts. It using coolant and the AC not working are entirely different problems. As far as the tie rod ends, He is probably right. The eventually wear out, generally the outers first. This usually causes a sloppy feeling steering and often times a "drift" back and forth depending on how bad they are. I would expect to pay $300 for the evap core + parts, and $100 for inner and outer tie rod ends + parts in a non-shop environment.

Last edited by aussiek2000; 06-19-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not antifreeze, lol sorry I was multi-tasking and not paying attention.